tazechip
tazechip,
Experience:  dasdasd
18722459

my right thumb is stiff & feels sore, especially in the morning

my right thumb is stiff & feels sore, especially in the morning after I've slept all night. It feels like it's broken, but this has been going on for weeks, and if it was broken, I figure I wouldn't be able to stand the pain. Also, I've been feeling sore all over, and more tired than usual. I'm thinking that it could be a form of arthritis. I'm 47 years old, african american, and my mother has been diagnosed with arthritis many years ago. I've been taking D3 vitamins, and I take Garlic Pills for cholesterol. Should I buy Calcium Pills or Geritol? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.

What part of the thumb has the problem, and is there any swelling? Can you better describe the sore all over/tired problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dr Chip, My right thumb is sore when I bend it, it feels like it's "clicking", forl ack of a better term. When I try to screw open o bottle top, Oh my goodness, that's when it really hurts!

As for the tired feeling I'll give you an example: last Saturday as I was walking from the grocery store and carrying a few bags of groceries, my legs felt weak of all of a sudden. It took everything I had for me to keep on walking. It's not the first time that I've had that happen to me.

Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Have you seen a doctor for any of this? Other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I haven't been to a doctor. I've tried taking OTC pills. I started with D3-2000 IU just this week. I also brought EXCEDRIN, Extra Strenghth. I've taken the Excedrins twice, and I stll have pain.

I was wondering if GERITOL would work for my 'tired feeling'? Or maybe Calcium Pills for my aching bones? I tend to feel especially stiff & sore when I wake up in the morni g.

Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Do you understand that all I can do here is give you my thoughts as to what's going on and that I'm going to have to end with suggesting you see a doctor about all this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your honesty, but since you are a doctor, and I've given you some information of what's going on with me, I would appreciate you giving me your thoughts and any suggestions of what to do or what I should take until I do see a doctor.

Thank You.

Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. One last question--any weight problem, bowel movement problem, skin problem or hair problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problems with any of the above in your question.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
OK. First off--the thumb. Arthritis is a possibility, but I think it may be more of a tendonitis that may get better with time and antiinflammatories. It doesn't sound like you have a problem with, say, rheumatoid arthritis. The fatigue symptom is the hard one, and all I can do is list the possible causes--anemia, low thyroid, another autoimmune disorder like lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, low cortisol levels, and, lastly, though not likely, depression or sleep apnea. Without any other symptoms like the areas I asked about, thyroid and cortisol is less likely. If you had multiple joint problems, I might consider Lyme disease. Obviously, it will take a thorough exam and blood work to find out what's going on here. I know that's just giving you a list, but it's about all I can do for now. That said, if there's any more information I can afford you, just ask and I'll be more than happy to continue here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank You very much for your thoughts. I really appreciate your thoughts about my thumb. I feel a lot better. So, should I even bother with buying anything from the drug store; i.e., Bengay or something of that nature?

About my fatigue, I know that it could be anything, so I WILL have to go to my physician and get blood work done. Again, Thank You so much for your time & expertise.

Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome. As for the thumb, I'd suggest ibuprofen and Biofreeze and perhaps a malleable splint for a few days.