Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

I had a one-night stand with this guy that I met (ya i know

I had a one-night stand with this guy that I met (ya i know horrible), I think he was wearing a condom but then again it was a one night stand, so i can't exactly remember. He said he didn't cum and i dont think he did either. I am taking birth control pills but was freaking out (This was June 18. I was supposed to get my period on June 20, but it didnt come, so i took the Plan B pill. I didnt get my period since and it is now July 7, i took 2 pregnancy tests and they both came back negative. What is going on??? Am i preggers? or is my period just really late?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if you were taking birth control pills at the time of intercourse, then the chances of pregnancy are very less, as this is the most effective contraceptive

Dr PG (M.D.) :

the causes of delayed periods are multiple

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it can be a resent illness, stress, hormonal imbalance (like hypothyroid, polycystic ovarian syndrome), change in schedule, addition of any new medicine etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

rarely a single delay in periods can occur without any specific cause also (if earlier your periods were regular)

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, to be sure you can get a blood pregnancy test done

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but the chances of it being positive are less because your two urine home pregnancy tests are negative

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if the test comes out negative, try to relax

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if the test is positive or your periods do not come in the next month or so, then you need to consult your Ob/gyne for a detailed evaluation

Customer:

My ex and I are getting back together, and we dont use condoms...

Customer:

i cant tell him...

Dr PG (M.D.) :

i understand

Dr PG (M.D.) :

you seem very stressed out

Customer:

i am i am 22 divorced mother of a 3 year old

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, to put your mind at rest, get a blood pregnancy test done

Customer:

im very stressed

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it should come negative mostly since you were using contraceptive pills and had two urine home pregnancy tests negative

Customer:

i got tested for hpv and came postive, could that trigger or upset the pills?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, in your situation the delay in periods seem to be because of the stress, if your cycle earlier was always regular

Customer:

i was always regular so now this, im like on a freakazoid time zone

Dr PG (M.D.) :

unless you have an active infection of HPV with symptoms, this should not be a factor in delay in periods, but cannot be sure without a first hand evaluation

Dr PG (M.D.) :

try to relax and go for a confirmation test

Customer:

i am on tuesday, but can i still have sex without a condom if i am on birth control?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

usually a birth control pill is very safe

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, haveing intercourse while on regular pill without condom is safe

Customer:

do you know anything about hpv?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what do you want to know?

Customer:

how do i know who i got it from?

Customer:

and how long have i had it?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

that is difficult to find unless you get all your partners investigated

Dr PG (M.D.) :

HPV is an infection which ca lie dormant in ones body

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it might or might not produce symptoms

Customer:

i got a pap smear done last year, and everything was fine and then before that. this past january i got it done and it was hpv postivie

Dr PG (M.D.) :

have you had intercourse in between these 2 tests?

Customer:

i had one in dec 09 and then in jan 11

Customer:

yea

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

HPV infection is a little different than other infections

Customer:

do i narrow it down to the guy i was with then

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Several months to years may elapse from acquiring the infection and detection.

Customer:

ook so its a no answer kinda thing

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, you might have acquired the infection in between the two examinations or even before the first PAP smear

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it is difficult to narrow down the source and time of infection

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but since you are carrying the infection, it would be ideal to use barrier protection while intercourse

Customer:

so just to clear up, when do you think i might get my period?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

since your vaginal fluids can transmit this infection further

Customer:

i think he already has it

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Customer:

we found out together, and i told him and he knows

Dr PG (M.D.) :

again will not be able to predict the time of periods

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if you relax, ideally they come back in the next month or so

Customer:

by the next cycle perhaps?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if you do not get them even then, then you need to consult an Ob/gyne for detailed evaluation to rule out other causes like hormone imbalance, PCOS, hypothyroid and problem in the uterus etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, most probably by the next cycle

Customer:

ok thank you very much

Dr PG (M.D.) :

also taking the emergency contraceptive pill can cause hormoneal imbalance

Dr PG (M.D.) :

which can affect the next cycle

Customer:

what if i take another one

Customer:

o ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

you are most welcome

Dr PG (M.D.) :

i would advise against it

Customer:

y?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

taking unnecessary pills will wreck your body's hormones

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it would cause further problems

Customer:

ook

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if your pregnancy tests are coming negative, you do not need an abortion pill etc

Customer:

i have taken 2 in my lifetime. how many is too many?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

there is no count for 2 many

Customer:

how much is the abortion pill, in case i would ever have to get into that position?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but when taken unnecessarily, then even 1 or 2 are not recommended

Customer:

which *knock on wood* i hope not to

Dr PG (M.D.) :

forget about the pill at present

Dr PG (M.D.) :

just get a blood test done and relax

Customer:

ok will try to

Customer:

thank you for your help and support

Dr PG (M.D.) :

all the best

Customer:

and to you

Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997