Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

My knee seems to go out of alignment, on sideways movements,

Customer Question

My knee seems to go out of alignment, on sideways movements, such a s getting in the car, or lying on my side in bed. It is very painful, until I straighten it, and it make a clunking feeling, as it pops back into place. Also when I lie on my back, my knee seems to bend backwards, even with a pillow underneath, and I have a constant burning sensation at the back of the knee.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 5 years ago.

Since how long have you been having these symptoms?
Do you feel that the knee cap moves out of its place?
Do you get pain in the knees otherwise too?
Are you okay using stairs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been having symptoms for about a year, but it has got worse, and is several times a day, stairs are difficult, especially in a morning, and yes the kneecap feels as if it moves to the side, and has to be clicked back in.
Thanks for the input.

It seems that you have patellar maltracking (meaning the knee cap moves abnormally) and gets subluxated( meaning that it moves out of its normal position) on particular activities causing the pain.
When you straighten knee the knee cap comes back into its normal position with a clunk.
This is probably associated with arthritis of knee joint especially of the patellofemoral compartment and this causes the burning pain.
Vastus medialis obliquus exercises, patellar mobilization exercises and lateral structures stretching exercises should help alleviate repeated subluxation of the knee.If this does not help surgical intervention in the form of lateral patellar release may be needed.If other compartments of the knee are involved as well total knee replacement may be the answer.
You will need to be assessed by an orthopedic surgeon for this problem.A physiotherapist or a physiatrist should be able to help you with these exercises.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I face a long wait to see an orthopoedic surgeon, would it be helpul to use some kind of a knee bace, or would this make my muscles, and ligaments weaker? The physiotherapist I saw last year, when I had pain, but not much instability, said I was hypermobile, I also have severe back pain, and my doctor has also diagnosed me with fibomyalgia. could FB be causing my knee pain?
If hypermobility is present a knee brace can be helpful in providing stability but a knee brace does have a tendency to weaken the muscles around the knee.
With the description you have given FB is not the reason of your knee symptoms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would an xray, show soft tissue damage to my knee?
Sorry for the delay.Had to go offline.
No X ray cannot show soft tissue damage but it can show any malalignment.For knee cap you need to have skyline view of the knee which would show if the knee cap is tilting.