Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

My last period started with spotting 3 days early on june 11th

My last period started with spotting 3 days early on june 11th then became heavy on june 17 and finally ended on june 22. I am usually very regular and lasting only 4-7 days. My husband and I are trying to conceive so trying to figure out when to expect my next period is difficult. I do not know if I should go based on the spotting or my heavier flow since it lasted longer. I was not technically due for last period until june 14.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
dear customer,

when are you supposed to get periods?
when did you have the last period?
did you have the pregnancy test done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My last period started on may 17th. I should have gotten my period june 14 but started spotting on june 11 so it came earlier and lasted until june 22. It was very light until june 17 then it was heavier like a regular period. I did take pregnancy test and came back negative. Took a test 3 different times to be sure.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
dear customer,

The light period before the expected periods may be due to the implantation bleeding of pregnancy.

The pregnancy test may be negative in early cases and in that case the test should be repeated aftera week.The blood hcg test are more reliable.The sonography of uterus is also a very confirmatory test for pregnancy.

The other causes of spotting are genital infection, cervical cancer, hormonal imbalance, contraceptive pills, etc.

You should have the sonography of the uterine and adnexa done to know the underlying etiology to know the underlying cause.

The pap smear may be done as well to screen the cervical cancer.The other causes should also be ruled out.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just took another pregnancy test today and it came back negative I have my annual gyn appointment july 13th. Considering that the lighter bleeding lead into a more regular flow as if I have regular period could it still be implantation.. and if so wouldn't a test turn out to be positive by now?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

The pregnancy test is done when a woman misses the expected date of period.It may be negative in early cases due to low levels of hcg in urine and in that case it is repeated aftera week.

The blood hcg test is more reliable.The sonography is very confirmatory test for pregnancy.

Since your expected periods were on june 17th so by now it should come as positive.

You should have the other relavant investigations done as mentioned above to rule out other causes.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice