Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

Upper right abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, belching, feel

Upper right abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, belching, feel feverish with normal temp, shaky feeling. I've already had my gallbladder and appendix out. Previous similar episodes over last 2 years with endoscopy and colonoscopy showed nothing. Feels tender under my right rib cage. Been taking antacids intermittantly for days. (Dr. is on vacation). Been to ER before with similar symptoms, they gave me a "gastric coctail" and sent me home. Symptoms recurr then disappear for months. It is on "full bore' today. Should I go to the ER again? If so, what do I ask them? I am 67 year old female. Had CA of the uterus in 1986 with partial hysterectomy (Left ovary remains...I think it's the right, can't remember.)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.
Any change in bowel movements? What has the diagnosis been for this in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bowel movements normal (normal for me is varying between constipation and numerous small stools 3 or so times a day) I eat prunes for fiber.

Diagnosis was "don't know what's wrong' other than gastritis. Forgot to mention dizziness off and on. Gave me a "gastric coctail" and was told to see my GP. He scheduled upper and lower GI which when performed a month or more later, showed nothing. (It took that long to get an appointment.) I live in rural OR.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should have added this started in stomach and has moved to upper right abdomen under rib cage. If I hadn't had my gall bladder out, I'd say I had a gall bladder problem.
So--an important question here--this is very much like the symptoms you had before the gall baldder was removed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they did a gall-bladder function test, found my GB was non-functioning, and removed it. That was in 2007 or 08.
And what's going on right now--is this in any way different from the other episodes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If my memory serves me right, it is similar, but at that time, I was ALWAYS constipated and bloated. I stopped using fiber tabs for regularity and switched to dietary regulation (celery, prunes, etc.) and now I am more regular. I don't remember feeling dizzy then or shaky. I am on Coreg CR 20 mg/day for tacaicardia and PVF's. The skipped beats have been more frequent this past week. Normally the Coreg handles it. The skips are 2 or more a minute lately. Then none for a couple hours. ( I feel them in my throat.)
And the pain is enough today to make you think of the ER?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't go away. I thought I was getting better a couple days ago. Even went out to early dinner last night and managed a small meal, but then by 9 pm I was feeling all the symptoms. We live over an hour from a hospital and have to drive on a curving mountain road to Roseburg, OR for care. While North Bend, OR, has a hospital, we are not confident in any way shape or form with their level of expertise.

I could continue taking Malox until tomorrow. My GP will refer me to an internist, then I'll have to wait several weeks to get an appointment, then he/she will order test, and 6 weeks later they'll probably say "I don't know what was wrong with you." I am about to tear my hair out in frustration. My main concern is that I don't have some type of recurrence of CA that has gone undetected so far. Guess I'm neurotic. The type of CA I had was Adeno carcinoma. Yes, it's been since '86, so I should be safe from a recurrence of that nasty animal.
I don't think this is cancer, and, in the past, it could have been post cholecystectomy syndrome--as you indicated as though your gall bladder were still there. That can be from a problem with the sphincter of Oddi at the end of the common bile duct or a retained stone. This new episode could be pancreatitis, colitis, an infectious condition like salmonella or E. coli, or a peptic ulcer problem. If you can hold on until you can see your GP, I think that will do but you need blood work, a ct of the abdomen and an exam to start with.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain