Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

Can the symptoms of a sluggish gallbladder be bloating, gas,

Can the symptoms of a sluggish gallbladder be bloating, gas, nausea, indigestion -cramping fairly regularly -mid section-waist -etc. I know the colitis also carries these symptoms but not the upper bloating and nausea. I don't experience difficulty after eating fatty foods though or the pain in the upper right quadrant which is typical of gallbladder problems...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 5 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

I have read your post, what question about this would you like me to answer?

Customer:

Can the symptoms of a sluggish gallbladder be bloating, gas, nausea, indigestion -cramping fairly regularly -mid section-waist -etc. And what is the remedy for this?

Dr B :

What you are referring to is gall bladder akinesia, and it is diagnosed by an ultrasound

Dr B :

The treatment is removal of the gall bladder

Customer:

I had the sono of the abdomen a few months ago -normal-no gallstones -nothing out of whack.

Dr B :

It would have to be a gall bladder ultrasound

Customer:

With the removal of the gallbladder, I am assuming the problems would then disappear. Is a HIDA scan appropriate to do? I have already had CAT scan of abdomen and pelvic area, endoscopy, Hydrogen breath test, colonoscopy...hiatal hernia evident -colitis -45 cm on left side now under control with meds (& which I have had for 40 years off and on)

Dr B :

I see, a HIDA scan will assess your gall bladder and the ducts

Customer:

Is this appropriate now to do? The gastro dr wants to do the camera scan of the bowel -the colon dr suggests the HIDA scan and to check the pancreas -Is a check on the pancreas a different test?

Dr B :

The HIDA scan is reasonable, the pancreas tests are blood tests

Customer:

Can the symptoms of a sluggish gallbladder be constant and not just occur after a meal?

Dr B :

Yes, they can be constant

Customer:

Thanks