Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Is it possible to re-fracture a bone in the same exact location

Is it possible to re-fracture a bone in the same exact location? A current x ray says I broke my right inferior ramus, but I fractured this in 2002, and the current x ray shows the break very clearly now. How can you tell the difference between a new and old fracture?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it is possible to re-break a bone in the same location. It is also possible that the fracture never completely healed from the previous fracture, however, this is usually able to be detected on plain x-ray because the bone will lay down surface-type bone along the fracture site. The other reasons to indicate a new fracture is the onset of symptoms. An old unhealed fracture would not typically have significant pain, but a repeat fracture at the same site would typically be painful.