Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

i have sharp stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach, its

i have sharp stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach, its been like this for two days, it feels like i am hungry but when i eat it hurts more, it wakes me up in the middle of the night. i have a heating pad on it and it some what takes away the pain. please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
can you say what you mean by middle of the stomach
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

right below the ribs in the center

This sounds like an acute stomach ulcer
Have you had any past medical problems
On any med?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no and no, how would i get that??
There is a bacteria called H pylori.
You need to go to the doctor and get checked for this.

There is a possibility that this is just a stomach virus, but if that is the case it should start getting better.

It can also be gastritis, inflammation of the stomach and H pylori can cause this as well.

a breath test from your doctor for H pylori can see if you have this and the treatment is antibiotics sometimes with peptobismal added.

I would arrange to see your doctor this week unless symptoms get worse..and you should go to urgy care or the ER.
In fact if you did that now they could check they stool for blood and give you the test.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions:

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.