Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

I was told I have an idle hiata hernia and my stomach is sitting

Customer Question

I was told I have an idle hiata hernia and my stomach is sitting above my diaphrame.
Can you tell me if this is serious? I do have a lot of digestion problems, and I have Parkinson's, and fibromyagia.
I had a barium swallow on Monday.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

This is not considered a serious disease. But it can cause severe symptoms like heartburn and food reflux. There can be associated other problems like inflammation of food pipe etc. So your symptom severity would dictate the treatment. If the symptoms are mild; medical treatment is sufficient. If the symptoms are moderate to severe; persistent and medicines are not efficacious; surgery is advised. The surgical procedure is minimal invasive (laparoscopic / key hole surgery) and need around 2-3 hospitalization.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun