Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have severe hip pain mainly at night it wakes me up I can

I have severe hip pain mainly at night it wakes me up I can only sleep on my back
Many thanks in advance
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

How long the symptoms are there? How often does it happen? Does the pain radiate any where? Is it on one side? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Are you on any medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
6/8 months ago getting worse occours every night and now feel in the day especially if I have been sitting to long just my right side, had an XRAY they said no problem except showing little white spots
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

There can be a few probables here. These can be due to arthritis, tear of an ligament/cartilage, or trochanteric bursitis etc. Often pain worses at night. Avoid lying on that side. Putting soft pillow over there can reduce pressure on it. Icing or application of heat can be helpful in severe pain. For pain relief both cold and hot can be used. You can try either to see the effect. Among otc antiinflammatory analgesics there can be ibuprofen (motrin, advil), naproxen (available as aleve) etc. Continue the pain medicine. When X ray did not find any significant change, you need to consult an orthopedic doctor for an examination. You can need imaging studies like MRI & other tests for it.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.