Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K

i have a dull pain/ discomfort on my right side upper rib cage.

i have a dull pain/ discomfort on my right side upper rib cage. the discomfort and dull pain at times feels like its in one spot about the size of a half dollar?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you have any previous medical issues like diabetes and high blood pressure ?

Customer:

no , i haven't been diagnosed.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Symptoms of cough, phlegm, fever, chest pain increasing on deep inspiration ?

Customer:

no.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Can you locate the area of pain exactly ? What is the severity of pain ?

Customer:

the area is upper rear of right side rib cage. it sometimes feels like if i massage the upper rib i can centralize the pain. i poke at it because it's uncomfortable and i have soreness sometimes.

Dr S.A.Alam :

What causes pain to increase ? what helps to decrease the pain ?

Customer:

not sure what causes the pain to increase. i did notice once when i was having a drink , it felt like it went to that area and caused some discomfort. as far as decrease, rest, and once i took some tums???

Dr S.A.Alam :

Is there some rash on this area ? any symptoms of numbness or electric shock like pain ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Since when you have noticed this pain and discomfort ?

Customer:

no.

Customer:

the pain and discomfort comes and goes. this time it's lasted 3 days. it should be noted that i have gained about 15 lbs. over the last year,

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you get short of breath on mild activity ? Does this pain radiates to the back of chest or front of chest ?

Customer:

no shortness of breath. the pain travels down towards the lower/middle right abdomen area.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any tests done ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any medicine you have been taking

Dr S.A.Alam :

?

Customer:

no. i will be making a appoiitment to day.

Customer:

i dont take any medications.

Dr S.A.Alam :

ok,

Dr S.A.Alam :

There are some possible causes that can be cause of such symptoms.

Dr S.A.Alam :

As food intake and gas problem are also associated with these symptoms so liver problem is one of the causes. It can be inflammation of the liver as there is some soreness or it could be a gall bladder problem.

Dr S.A.Alam :

As this pain and discomfort goes up to the chest so lung problem can cause it but you do not have symptoms of cough, fever, shortness of breath and sputum

Dr S.A.Alam :

so this seems less likely. More of chest wall problem like

Dr S.A.Alam :

musculoskeletal pain.

Customer:

what mightt they be? no, but the gas /flatulance issue is more thsn usuall. i did notice that when i use the bathroom it feels like my abdomen is pulling from the right side or contracting?

Customer:

it also kinda feels like a burning sensation???

Dr S.A.Alam :

In this case you need is to get two important tests like chest x rays and ultrasound abdomen after the clinical evaluation. possible causes are gall stones and chest wall problems like condritis.

Dr S.A.Alam :

If this is burning sensation then nerve pain causes like in shingles should be considered.

Dr S.A.Alam :

In such cases rash may not be present in initial cases.

Customer:

ok, i will do that.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have more questions for me ?

Customer:

no, that's it for now, thanks!

Dr S.A.Alam :

Click ACCEPT button to credit the assist. Thank you.

Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K