Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I have a hard small lump on the side of my neck, on the left

I have a hard small lump on the side of my neck, on the left side. Probably closer to my collarbone than my ear, but probably about halfway. It seems that it appeared overnight. It seems to be attached to the muscle, not the skin, and not anywhere near the throat. Cant really be moved. There is slight pain, almost like when touching a pimple. My neck has been sore for the past couple of days, the left side is a bit sore. Also, I participate in wrestling, grappling, martial arts - I often get trauma to the neck, we train very hard with neck chokes, etc. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
zHello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Any fever?
Any pain inside throat?
Any history of trauma to this side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
• No I don't have any fever, I actually feel ok today.

• No pain inside throat, but I woke up feeling a but more dry/rough than usual. Nothing significant.

• No real history of any big trauma - but I've had previous soreness on and off in this area. I always thought it was from grappling and fighting. Especially this weekend, I had a bit more significant soreness there than usual.

** Actually (just remembered) - about 2 years ago I had a MAJOR stiff next from working out with weights - I had to take the day off with painkillers and could not move my neck whatsoever. Don't remember if it was the same side.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to hear about your problem

It is really difficult to diagnose without examining the side of your neck.
Still there can be some options here.
It can be a congenital abnormality that may have showed up now like a brachial cyst.
It can be a hematoma which may have formed when you had some trauma to this neck.
It can be an infection which may be protruding out in the form of pus from inbetween the muscles.
An ultrasound of the swelling would be very useful in diagnosing the condition.
Your best course would be to visit a surgeon who would be able to examine your neck and have alook at the ultrasound to reach a diagnosis.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have it checked out - I just wanted to know how serious or common something like this could be in terms of it being cancerous. I'm asking to be told 'It's alright' but has me a little worried.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
It would be too pre mature to say if its cancer or not. But there are many common diseases that present like this and those havee been mentioned by me. Hopefully it would be something benign and not cancerous.

Best regards
Dr. Sam