Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

Blood blisters started appearing on my forearms during my last

Customer Question

Blood blisters started appearing on my forearms during my last week in a rehab center where I was recovering from pneumonia and sepsis. These were small and I thought were from the intervenous injection sites administered during my 4 and a half week stay in hospital before the rehab. In hospital I was in intensive care for two weeks and lost 35 pounds and 5 inches from my middle because I was on intervenous feeding for almost the entire ICU stay. I forgot that most of my meds were injected at a site that was implanted in my rt upper arm.

I have been out of rehab for about two months now:(4/28/2011) and the occurence of blood blisters has increased in number and frequency and sizes, and several have been induced at two sites in which the skin was pierced from a bump and a glancing blow where the skin was torn and a flap of skin was displaced. I treated this last one with anticeptic powder and a bandaid then later I lathered and washed the site with glycerin soap, removed the bandaid and quenched the blood with 3% H2O2. I dried the exposed cut and applied an antibacterial bandaid sealing the wound site. I had already seen my PCP about these blisters and his only comment was that I am getting old and to see him if I develope any blisters that are lumpy and tender to the touch. I also saw my oncologist (I have CLL: a form of leukemia) and asked if these blisters were produced by my blood disorder and the reduced autoimmune response from this condition. He did not think so.
OK, I've consulted two doctors and I continue to have more and bigger blisters. My platelet count has gone below 90 KmcgL but it had been down at 58 KmcgL before my hospital stay and no blisters. Four weeks before hospital I was prescribed Prednisone and after three weeks I started chemotherapy then about ten days later I went to the hospital with symtoms of sepsis. My reduced immune system response was diagnosed as the problem: the cause of my hospital stay was airborne pneumonia.
I feel as though I have been to battle and have been laid low by rifle shot. Is there anything in my description that any reader may have a fresh insight for me to consider?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 5 years ago.

Dr Wajid :

Hi

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer...

Dr Wajid :

Can you please tell me what is your age?

Dr Wajid :

Also do you have fever?

Dr Wajid :

Bleeding form any site?

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

I am 75. On July 7 I will be 76.

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

No fever. My sublingual temp is around 97.6 degreexs farenheit

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

Nose pollups may be emitting and I have started to have some blood from a scar inside my right nostril from it being squashed in hospital from an ill fitting facemask delivering high pressure oxygen.

Dr Wajid :

Can you please describe the blood blisters in a bit detail?

Dr Wajid :

Are these present more on your abdomen?

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

The large blisters are generally about a dime or nickel in size and oval or round in shape and some are streeks. On first appearance the center is filled with blood in a soft mound. Later as the blister is metabolized, the center flattens out and white dots appear in the body under the skin. I suspect these are hair follicles.

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

The blisters are confined to both forearms

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Dr Wajid :

Well I think these blisters are not due to sepsis...

Dr Wajid :

Neither do these form due to a low platelet count because 90 is a good platelet count and it doe not usually cause blleding at this level

Dr Wajid :

However I think that this is a skin related disorder that might have developed due to a skin reaction to something that might have been used during your stay at ICU...

Dr Wajid :

This can be anything ranging from a simple plaster to antiseptic powders that might have been used

Dr Wajid :

In short I think it is a skin problem that needs to be addressed

Dr Wajid :

So in my opinion you should see a dermatologist for further help in this regard...

Dr Wajid :

I hope this information helps you...

Dr Wajid :

Do you have any further queries?

JACUSTOMER-r3bdgm7q- :

no. I will see my doctor about your suggestion

Dr Wajid :

Thank you

Dr Wajid :

Please press the accept button if you feel satisfied with my respone

Dr Wajid :

Regards Dr Wajid

Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 5 years ago.
Please press the accept button if you feel satisfied with my response to credit me for my time...

You are always welcome for follow up...

Thank you...