Experience:  dasdasd

my leg is swollen near the calf and a red spot is getting larger.

my leg is swollen near the calf and a red spot is getting larger. I apparently have some fluid on my legs and there is pain around the red area.
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
How long has this been going on? Where is the spot exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I noticed it was painful yesterday morning. I thought that maybe I bumped into something and it was bruised. It was not as red or irritated yesterday morning. I have been rubbing it, so maybe this irritated it.

The spot looks like a sunburn and is an area just above my ankle 5 -6 inches and on the inside of the leg. The red and painful area is about 5 -6 inches by 3-4 inches.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
And how much swelling is there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure how to answer that. My right leg is bigger than my left leg from the knee to ankle. I would say it is swollen enough that the skin is tight. Maybe the right leg is 1/8 or less larger than the left leg.
To be completely honest, I was out drinking on Thursday night and could have bumped my leg. Further,I have noticed fluid buildup on both legs the last few months, but no pain. Back in October, I had similar pain in my left knee with fluid and the fluid traveled to the ankle, but no redness.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
So to be clear--the leg with the spot is also more swollen than normal right now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I was just providing you with the information about the fluid as a side note. My left leg is NOT swollen, nor is there redness. My Right leg is swollen around the mentioned are and down to the ankle.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
OK. The first thing I need to say is when someone tells me that a leg is swollen--even one that may have had some swelling in the past but now has more--I have to worry about a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein. If that were the case, it could lead to a pulmonary embolus that could be life threatening. That doesn't explain the red spot, however. This could be cellulitis--skin infection--with resultant swelling. I think the best thing to do is let your doctor know now about this and see if he wants to order Doppler venous studies of the leg. It would be much better to be safe rather than sorry in your case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks. SO you are telling me I should go to the doctor rather than rely on an answer from just answer. Would I have pain if there was a blood clot? Should I go to an emergency room now or see my doctor on Monday\?>
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, all I can do on this site is take the information you give and give you my thoughts. Quite often customer are unhappy when we say see a doctor, but, unless I think it's a situation that will improve without seeing a doctor, ethically and professionally I'm obligated to tell the customer to seek medical help. Yes, a blood clot can produce pain in the muscles of the leg. As far as waiting until Monday, that may not cause any problems but if you suddenly get short of breath or have chest pain, then you should get to an emergency room immediately.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I am not questioning you, just asking. I understand your ethical obligations. Thanks.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one additional follow=up question. If I bumped my leg on a table or chair, is it possible that this would have caused swelling and the redness.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
I'd more expect that to look like a bruise. Cellulitis has the red appearance. If this were over a joint like your ankle I'd consider gout, but that doesn't sound likely here.