Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been feeling like a have a lump in my upper abdomen

I have been feeling like a have a lump in my upper abdomen accompanied by a full feeling in my asophagus, some mild back pain, infrequent bowel movements (not diaherria or constipation but not as regular as I normally am.) Occasionally I'll have pain in the regions around my ovaries and two days ago I had a warming sensation throughout my abdomen. Close to meal times I have a gnawing feeling in my stomach. Food seems neither to help or hurt the symptoms. Would I benefit from going to an Urgent Care facility or should I go to the ER? It's a Saturday, symptoms started Wednesday night and have not improved but all gastroenterologist offices are closed and I'd like answers because it's very uncomfortable. I've tried adding more fiber into my diet and drinking more fluid.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you have any burning in the urination or increased frequency of urination?

Q. Do you have bloating, indigestion or heart burn?

Q. Do you have palpitations or anxiety?

Q. Where would you place your stress level?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Q1-There is no burning but a slight increase in urination has been noticed.

Q2- Yes to all three: bloating, indigestion, and slight heartburn

Q3- Not while these symptoms have been occurring. I had palpitations two or three weeks ago but nothing recent.

Q4- Low-Moderate stress

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

This seems to be a problem with the upper gastrointestinal tract. Acid peptic diseases like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) and oesophagitis (inflammation of the oesophagus lining) can present with these symptoms along with acid reflux.
Conditions of the gallbladder like gall bladder dyskinesia and gall stones can also present like this and need to be ruled out.
Here is what you need to do:
Avoid smoked, salted, barbecued and spicy foods.
Avoid fizzy drinks, coffee and tea.
Avoid alcohol as well.
You need to sleep with a head up tilt of about 30-45 degrees at night, use a wedge pillow made for this purpose.
Do not eat full meals at one time, you should eat more frequently if required and dry meals will be best.
A 30 minute walk before bed time will be helpful.
You should also use Omeprazole (Prilosec) 20 mg twice daily empty stomach.
You can also add syrup sucralfate to this taken 10 minutes prior to a meal (thrice daily).
These are OTC medication.
Avoid stress and pain killers (NSAIDs).
Book an appointment with your PCP and/or Gastroenterologist to discuss your symptoms with him/her in detail and get some relevant investigations done.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.

Best.