Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have some blood coming from my belly button. It sometimes

I have some blood coming from my belly button. It sometimes smells bad. I don't have any piercings. What could it be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Since when are you having this symptom? Do you have associated symptoms like swelling or fever? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It comes and goes for the last month or so. It started with the smelly fluid being clear or yellowish with some crusting but now I getting blood also. The blood just started last night The belly button is irritated. It sometime itches and can be tender. It is an innie. I had my galbladder removed about 17 years ago. They did a laperoscopy through the belly button.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Belly button is a depression and so is prone to get collection or dampness within. This makes it prone to get infections {bacterial, viral or fungal}.

Infection is the first bet in your case. Other causes like urachal cyst or communication with bowel loop less likely.

I would suggest you to have a physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ ultrasound of abdomen to get the severity and clue to diagnosis. You may need an antibiotic course.

Till than Tylenol, Motrin will help/ keep the area clean/ avoid itching or poking any thing within.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless