Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD
4079050

I am a 62 year old male in good health. I do take previcid

I am a 62 year old male in good health.
I do take previcid for acid and a statin drug.

I am experiencing a loss of fine motor control in my hands. Something a simple as picking up a glass can cause my hands to shake. This happens several times a day and seems to be getting more frequent.

What can cause this? Is there anything that can be done to improve/prevent it?
Thank you for your time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
Hello Sir,

Kindly answer these few questions.

Since how long you are having this problem? Do you notice it specially while performing a task or it happens even during rest and not doing anything?

Gradual or abrupt in onset?

Have you ever suffered from or are suffering from any medical / psychiatric disease?

Any history of head trauma?

Any history of consuming alcohol / drugs daily or frequently and if yes please mention the quantity?

Currently taking any medicines or have taken in recent past?

Kindly also explain your symptoms in a little bit more detail if it is possible for you. Are you noticing frequent shaking of your hand or it is something else.Have you also noticed loss of power in your hand ?

Kindly also go through the link given below and let me know that do your symptoms resembles the symptoms as mentioned in this website?

Tremor
Thanks

Vikas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Vikas,

I have noticed the effect for about 8 to 10 months. The onset has been gradual. It happens when using the hand. It does not happen at rest. It doesn't take much; just picking up a water bottle to take a drink can cause the hand to shake, but not every time.

I have no disease that I am aware of and have not suffered a head injury. I do have some neck and joint pain for which glucosamine seems to be effective with cataflam.

As my question indicates, I am on previcid and statins. I also take some cataflam for the joint pain. I have noticed no loss of strength in the hand.

The site said that 19 doctors opened this question. You are the only one to respond. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

You are most welcome.

Since how long you are taking statin and which one?

Have you noticed any relation between starting statin and appearance of your symptoms?

Intention Tremor: This tremor occurs when a person ends a purposeful movement (such as pressing a button) or aims for a target (as when reaching for an object with the hand). The person may miss the targeted object because of the tremor. Intention tremors are relatively slow and coarse. - Going by this definition, have you ever missed the target ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In reading your website earlier, I would guess at "essential tremor" This tremor occurs during not before or after. So, I hadn't missed the target just shaken it from time to time.

I have been on Lipitor for years. However, I was forced by the insurance company to switch to Simvastatin about a year ago. I take 80 mg in the evening and 10 mg of Zetia in the mornings.

Regards,

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
I am also thinking on the line of tremor as a possibility but I wanted to rule out intentional tremor first and drug induced tremor first.

On the basis of this new information you have provided, either it could be essential tremor or drug induced tremor which could be because of statin you are using.
Essential tremor
Drug-induced tremor

In any case, since you have noticed that they are happening several times a day and seems to be getting more frequent, I would suggest you to consult a neurologist near you in order to find out the exact cause and diagnosis. Without doing a proper neurological examination and taking a detailed medical history it is not possible to comment on what it could really be and all that we have discussed could be a wild guess work. I hope you understand my point.

Kind regards

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience: MBBS; MD