TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

I have Wegeners Granulomatosis. I came down with Shingles

I have Wegener's Granulomatosis. I came down with Shingles two days ago. My kidneys are involved in the WG. The itching from the WG is awful. Can I take an epsom salt bath? Will it help? It says on the box to ask a Dr. if you have kidney disease. I am 49. Thank you

Yes, you can use Epsom salt.

Some also find Aveeno bath helps as well.

Given you have Wegener's and I suspect are on immunosupressive therapy, I would also want to make sure you are taking an antiviral medication- acyclovir ( Zovirax) or Valtrex for the shingles. If you are not- please get a prescription from your doctor as soon as possible, as shingles can progress and worsen significantly in immunocompromised patients.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, i am on Imuran. But the RA dr took me off for 3 days. I am taking Acyclovir. Thank you for the help.!

OK good- I am glad you are on acyclovir.

Good luck.