Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD
4079050

5 1/2 years ago I was treated successfully for breast cancer

Do my symptoms fit anything? 5 1/2 years ago I was treated successfully for breast cancer. My tests have been clear ever since. After treatment (chemo mastectoy and radiation), it seems like a pattern began where I get exhausted, nauseated, and basically have to spend a day or two in bed. This happens every 6 to 9 weeks. It is very disruptive to my life and no one seems to answer or try to answer what it might be. I'm a 34 year old female. Also, it sometimes seems to correspond to having a few drinks for a few nights, but I'm not sure if that's always the case
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.

Indeed it is very difficult to pigeon hole a diagnosis from symptoms. You have mentioned that these symptoms sometimes occur after you have consumed alcohol although you are not very sure.

You have already got an endoscopy done with no significant finding therefore one possibility which is coming in my mind right now is that could your symptoms may be because of the hangover due to consumption of alcohol?

May be due to some reason now you are not able to tolerate alcohol well as you used to do it earlier. You can test it yourself by not taking alcohol for a period of 6 to 10 weeks and see whether the symptoms reappear on not again.

Symptoms of Hangover

I hope this helps.

Regards

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess I should have been more clear- it's literally 2 small glasses of wine. I think it could be possible but I doubt it's the only possibility. I just remembered I take Lithium- I have had a high level once that I know of.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

O.K, you take only 2 small glass of wine but we have seen some patients who are not even able to tolerate a single glass of wine and complain of the same symptoms you have the next morning.

I am not saying that your symptoms are because of alcohol as it is just a possibility and the only way to check it out is to totally refrain from alcohol for a specific period of time and monitor the symptoms. If they reappear even after abstaining from alcohol, at least alcohol intolerance is not the cause.

Vikas