Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Right now, Im dizzy, and when I tilt my head left or right

Customer Question

Right now, I'm dizzy, and when I tilt my head left or right it feels heavy, and feels like Im on a rocking boat, with pressure and pain going across my head, to my ears and to the front of my head, I can stand without feeling faint, there is no nausea. I had an MRI on my brain in august 2010 with similar symptoms, it was clear. Saw a neurologist, he said people get pain.. and had one look at my brain and said it was better than his, that was in December 2010. I get a strange cold metallic smell sometimes, being more prominent than other smells, though I have scented candles and I can smell them up close, I do not put my hands on many metal things. At night without hearing any sound, I hear my right ear making a humming noise, its not tinnitus as Ive always heard the frequency of my own hearing, this humming comes when there is no sound, and goes when there is any sound as loud as walking. I get an after image with my vision recently in the last 8-9 months, around the same time as the rest of my symptoms, though it is not as prominent to be annoying as the rest of my symptoms. When I drift off asleep, I suddenly wake up seconds after nearly drifting off to sleep, breathing heavily, with a sudden jolt, Ive also had 4-5 days, and or nights of deep breathing, as if i was air hungry. I am slightly overweight, I do not snore, as my partner has told me. Also my chest has been paining me 3-4 months after my head started to in June/July 2010, though I think that is acid reflux, as it goes away when I eat rice-krispies and drink milk, however it is still annoying. The reason this is so long is mainly because, these are annoying and worrisome symptoms along with no doctor being helpful thus far in my country (Ireland), only theories have been made, I'd like to think with such a variation of symptoms someone can help.. maybe here, I'm hoping my money doesn't go to waste, really appreciate any help. Sometimes I feel like each part of me is dieing.

The time lapse of each symptom is as follows:

Head pain behind eyes, to the front of the head to around the sides of the head, swimming pain, along with moderate amount of dizziness - lasted between June - October of 2010 and stopped, until now of June 2011.

The cold metallic smell comes and goes, but began 2 months after June 2011 of the head pain. It was very prominent when I first got it, it is still noticeable now, but not as strong as it was then, either I have gotten used to it, or it is declined.

The after image in my eyes came around 3 months after my head paining me in june 2010, and has been constant since then.

The sound in my right ear has been there since Feb/Jan of this year, sometimes I can hear it, sometimes nothing but normal.

The breathing disruption before sleep, has come and gone on rare occasions in total as Ive said, 4-5 days, since June 2010, I am currently still getting it.

The chest pain has been with me since December 2010, early Jan, and comes and goes, though it feels more under control than the other almost nearly self aware symptoms which come and go when they please.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
The sound in the ear is tinnitus, which means sound in the ear.
Have you seen an ENT doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ENT, I think means ear and throat? I have, they weren't helpful unfortunately
Ok
if you had the MRI this would rule out tumor causing the tinnitus

Most of your other symptoms can be caused by migraine
The sleep problem might be apnea the way it is described and a simple sleep study would confirmed this....important because it can aggravate all of your symptoms.
Weight loss and a treatment called CPAP at night might take care of most of your concerns so this would come first.

If still with symptoms then a preventative migraine medication such as a beta blocker at that point...a headache specialist might be useful at this point as well.

That only leaves the chest pain, and you are really too young, but a stress test is better than an EKG to rule out heart disease.
Physical therapy will help if it is musculoskeletal, which is more likely
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions:

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just wondering if having an MRI in august would be good enough to be seen by a neurologist in december...
Yes it would
good luck again