Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

After suffering stomach discomfort for a while i was given

After suffering stomach discomfort for a while i was given a stomach scope. Was told my stomach was damaged and was put on generic form of pariet (20 mg daily). A second scope a year later showed my stomach was "healing".
Doctor told me i would be on this medication for life. I think it is unnecessary and would like to wean myself off. I believe he is using it as a form of prevention due to the fact that my mother and grandfather died of stomach cancer. I believe it may be causing some other problems such as excessive belching and occasional pounding heart. I think long term use may cause me more problems that help. Question is is it safe to stop cold turkey or should I wean myself off more slowly. I have been on the medication about three years.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

I would recommend not stopping this medicine without the doctor's consultation

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Since you anyways feel that this may help you in preventing serious complications

Dr PG (M.D.) :

An the side-effects appear to be minimal

Dr PG (M.D.) :

I would recommend not stopping it

Dr PG (M.D.) :

You can try a lower dose if you want, after talking to your physician thought

Dr PG (M.D.) :

though

Customer:

Do you think this would actually prevent cancer from developing?

Customer:

I see no reason for it unless it is a cancer prevention

Dr PG (M.D.) :

People who have uncontrolled GERD may be at risk for Barrett’s esophagus — a condition in which the cells in the esophagus change. Although it is rare, a small number of people with Barrett’s esophagus may develop esophageal cancer. PPIs are used to treat acid reflux associated with Barrett’s esophagus and may lower the risk of cellular changes in the esophagus that can lead to cancer.

Customer:

i do not suffer from gerd or heartburn......i have intestinal discomfort but i don't think this drug is any use in that area

Dr PG (M.D.) :

I understand

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Since I do not know why the drug has been continued by your doctor

Dr PG (M.D.) :

I really cannot recommend its discontinuation

Dr PG (M.D.) :

However you may try a lower dose to reduce the side-effects after talking to him

Customer:

ok..... one more question...are there side effects if the drug is stopped abruptly

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Basically recurrence of the original symptoms that prompted starting therapy in the first place

Dr PG (M.D.) :

which may worsen over a period of time and damage the stomach lining

Customer:

but if i stopped and no symptoms returned you would consider it safe to do swo

Dr PG (M.D.) :

A clinical examination would be needed possibly with a repeat scopy to confirm the same

Dr PG (M.D.) :

and if you are absolutely fine, then certainly further therapy is not needed

Customer:

in other words you think the risk of cancer outweighs the side effects of the drug

Customer:

is there a naturopathic way to go?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Certainly especially given your strong f/h

Dr PG (M.D.) :

nothing that is scientifically rigorously studied in my opinion

Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997