Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My early morning urine has a strong musty odor. Tests for

My early morning urine has a strong musty odor. Tests for a urinary tract infection were negative. What else could be causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Since how long the symptoms are present? How do you drink water at night? Do you take high protein diet? How is the urine frequency? Are you on any medication? Do you have any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This has been going on for several months. I drink water all day long and usually 2 to 3 large glass in the evening. My diet is balanced. Not on a high protien diet. There frequency is normal for me except that I have been getting up in the middle of the night to urinate which is unusual for me. I take vitamins, B complex, E and D. I also take Hydrochlorothiazide. I take all of these in the morning - after the morning urine odor. I have no significant past illness.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
When do you take the vitamin tablets?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the morning after I am up for awhile
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The musty strong odor in urine may be due to concentrated urine. It may be due to some foods like high protein, asparagus or vitamin etc.. As you are not taking any high protein diet, you can watch whether any other dietary factor can be the issue. You can stop the vitamin intake to check whether the smell persists. In the early morning urine can give some smell due to concentrated urine. You have to take more water to check whether it helps. Another cause is urine infection. When infection has been ruled out, it may not be worrisome.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.