Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I am having sharp shooting pain in my left forearm, should

Customer Question

I am having sharp shooting pain in my left forearm, should I seek a doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How severe is your pain in 1 to 10 scale? is it radiating from your neck to your arm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would say its about an 8. It honeslty feels like it comes from my lower forearm towards my inner elbow. It gives me chills all over and kinda stops me in my tracks when it happens.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Do you also have numbness and muscular weakness? How long are you having it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No musclar weakness, maybe a little numbness, not too sure. It's gotten worse today, but it has been bothering me for a few days now.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
The shooting pain at 8/10 which is getting worse certainly require proper evaluation to find out the exact cause. As per your description, I am thinking it as a nerve related problem. you can visit your doctor for further evaluation.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX something that could wait to get checked out for a day or two (huge deadline at work) or should I go promplty?

Also, on a different note, my previous doctor said I have anxiety problems, but I am concerned it has escalted into something worse. The only way I can fall asleep now is to lie on the floor on my back, in order to have no problems breathing. I often feel short of breath during the day and i feel these symptoms are too serious just to be related to anxiety. Should I get a second opinion or do you think this is related also?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
If you can tolerate your pain, then you may wait for a day or so. in the mean time you cal also take OTC pain meds such as ibuprofen.

As far as anxiety is concerned, it can certainly cause pain, tingling, numbness, shortness of breath, restlessness, sleep problems, palpitation etc. I think it is much safer if you can have it evaluated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My only concern about the anxiety is that it's a feeling that stays with me all day. It gets worse after I eat or drink alcohol (morning after drinking a lot of alcohol feels like I can't breathe at all that day). Don't know if it matters, but after I burp I feel much better for a few minutes, its like a huge sigh relief.

Is there anymore help you can provide on this matter? It's been a daily problem for over a year now that I have had no relief from. It is now starting to interrupt my daily life (in the beginning it was only at night and I could not fall asleep because of it).

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
If you suffer from anxiety, then the best way is to combine counseling with anti anxiety medication. You will have to visit a counselor/psychiatrist for proper management. Just keep in mind that treating it right on time is always beneficial in long run.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

But is there a way for me to determine (without going to my doctor) that it's all anxiety related rather than something more serious like heart or lungs?

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
It is definitely not heart and lungs problem. If you have history of anxiety, then there is a good chance that its all due to anxiety, but ruling out nerve related problem would be appropriate. In the mean time you can take OTC pain meds. If your evaluation and investigations come back normal, then it is most likely anxiety related problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess I am asking is there a chance the doctor jumped to that conclusion too quickly? Are there signs or symptoms that differeniate between heart and lungh problems with anxiety?

Sorry for the mulitple questions, just want to be sure before I head to the doctor and know the right questions to ask.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
I do agree that anxiety is one of the potential cause for your symptoms. Heart and lungs related problem does not present with forearm pain. Moreover, you do not have any obvious heart/lungs related symptoms such as chest pain, cough, fever, cyanosis, tiredness, ankle swelling, abdomen pain/swelling, exercise tolerance etc.
My personal recommendation is to rule out nerve related problems before attributing it to anxiety.