Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

What does WBC stand for on a CBC blood test

What does WBC stand for on a CBC blood test?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Charogat :

hi#

Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

WBC are the white blood cells.

Dr. Charogat :

I'm sure that your question is more extensive than just that.

Dr. Charogat :

Would you like to ask anything else?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have numbers that you are curious about?

Dr. Charogat :

What is the reason the CBC was done to begin with?

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

end#

Dr. Charogat :

If you have any follow-up questions for me please feel free to ask them.

Dr. Charogat :

________________________

Dr. Charogat :

If you are satisfied with the doctor's answer please click 'accept' so that she can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.

Dr. Charogat :

I see you have entered the chat.

Dr. Charogat :

Before I leave please let me know what other questions you have.

Customer:

I recently had a blood test and the results for WBC were 12.7 and I would like to know if this is really bad?

Customer:

does this indicate something serious?

Dr. Charogat :

Nope.

Dr. Charogat :

12.7 seven is just slightly above normal.

Dr. Charogat :

Why did you have the test?

Dr. Charogat :

What other medications are you taking?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you exercise often?

Dr. Charogat :

While you answer those questions, I will continue with my answer. (I find that often the chat works slowly, so don't feel rushed, but I don't want you to sit by idly waiting for my answers)

Dr. Charogat :

There are various things that can cause an elevation such as this.

Dr. Charogat :

If you are taking steroids (or some other medications) it can cause this number to look elevated even though in reality it is normal.

Dr. Charogat :

If you have just done exercises the same thing can happen

Dr. Charogat :

It is also possible that you have a very minor infection that is causing this number to have this slight elevation.

Customer:

The test was done for a yearly physical which I have not been able to have until recently as I can no longer afford health insurance and was able to get this done at a discount. I am on high blood pressure medications as well as dilatin. My father passed away from cancer and his WBC was always high and that was my main concern.

Dr. Charogat :

The high WBC counts we see in cancer are typically MUCH higher than this.

Dr. Charogat :

Your number is XXXXX above normal and not at all worrisome.

Dr. Charogat :

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

end#

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

________________________

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

(and I DO hope that your financial situations improves very soon)

Customer:

I was also being tested for thyroid problems.

Dr. Charogat :

Thyroiid problems would not show up as abnormalities in the WBC unless there was an infection

Customer:

What are the various things that can cause this elevation? I have a problem with my knees and I do take Vicodin. I work at a job that requires me to be on my feet all day and by the time I get home my knees are extremely painful and am unable to take longs walks for exercise purposes.

Dr. Charogat :

Elevations that are this low can even come from something as simple as stress. Also exercise can cause this type of elevation, steroids can cause this, smoking etc.

Dr. Charogat :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if you were my family member I would not be concerned at all.

Dr. Charogat :

If you are feeling terrified about this number you can go have it checked again in three months, but even that is not necessary with these numbers

Dr. Charogat :

Is that it? Or did you still have questions about this?

Dr. Charogat :

I cannot see any further questions so I guess you are done.

Dr. Charogat :

Please feel free to let me know if you do have more questions

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

end#

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

________________________

Dr. Charogat :

Customer:

I was wondering what absolute neutrophils were, can you explain?

Dr. Charogat :

Sure

Dr. Charogat :

The WBCs are separated into 4 different types.

Dr. Charogat :

One of those types is neutrophils.

Dr. Charogat :

When the WBCs are elevated (higher than your number) we typically look at the percentage of neutrophils, but there are other cases where one might want to see the exact number

Dr. Charogat :

Again, with the numbers in your blood test that is not a number I would be at all concerned with.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I feel much better and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.