Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
10798432

what is bone marrow edema and is it dangerous

what is bone marrow edema and is it dangerous?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 3 years ago.

Dr Singh :

Hi, I would like to help but require some additional information. Where in your body is the bone marrow edema located? are you experiencing any joint pain?

Customer:

It is located in my shoulder and my knee. The pain in both areas is very difficult to control and the swelling in my knee, extends down my leg towards the ankle, the pain in my shoulder down to the elbow.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Singh

Dr Singh :

Hello

Customer:

Do you have an idea about this bone marrow edema my Dr.'s are exploring? Don't know how they thought this might be the case. On 6/7 I had an arthrogram MRI of the shoulder and standard MRI of the knee. I have received no results.

Dr Singh :

Bone marrow is a spongy, flexible substance located inside of a bone. Bone marrow edema is inflammation causing excess bone marrow. Bone marrow changes due to bone marrow edema can occur with incidences like fractures, a break in the continuity of the bone, ligament injuries, bone bruises, and inflammation of the synovial membrane, or the lining of joints. This excessive fluid buildup can also occur with conditions such as osteoarthritis, a joint disorder caused by wear and tear, osteoporosis or softening of the bone, ischemia, a decrease of blood flow, and tumors. Treatment for this is to treat the underlying cause of the edema. For this reason I would recommend that you see a rheumatologist or orthopaedic surgeon regarding the pain you are experiencing in your shoulder and knee.

Customer:

i have seen the orthopaedist and am concerned this may be a lead in to bone cancer. I was diagnosed with stage 2 ductual carcinoma and simultaneousy lobular carcinoma for which I had double mastecomy and would be cancer free 5 years in September 2011

Dr Singh :

It is possible that the underlying cause could be a neoplasm so your concern is valid. That is why followup with your orthopaedist is recommended and having further tests may be necessary. However other causes of this bone marrow edema should also be further evaluated such as arthritis, trauma, etc

Customer:

Thank you for your time Dr. Singh, I will contact my oncologist and primary care physician in the morning. I have appointments scheduled with the orthopaedists on the 13th and 20th of June. Thank you again and I am going to click accept so that you may be paid for your service which has been very helpful and not in any way a major scare, just a minor setback???

Dr Singh :

You are very welcome. I agree with seeing your doctors. Wish you the best. Regards

Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience: Physician