Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can an ulcer radiate pain to my back in between the should

Can an ulcer radiate pain to my back in between the shoulders
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Have you been diagnosed with an ulcer?
Are you having any nausea?
Shortness of breath?
Chest pain?
Bloating of the abdomen? Does your abdomen feel hard?
Are you having pain in the abdomen as well?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was once told that I had an ulcer but no examination was done sometimes I have pain in my upper abdomen and I sometimes fell like something is stuck in my throat normally when I am hungry and after having a meal. I don't have nausia or shortness of breath. I sometimes have chest pain
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Pain that is felt between the shoulder blades can be due to a few things.
If it is truly in between the shoulder blades (and not more right sided), this can be due to a peptic ulcer that has penetrated through the lining of the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) or stomach. The pain of this type of ulcer is usually intense and not relieved by food or antacids.
If you are experiencing severe pain, this needs medical evaluation as soon as possible as this can have serious complications including perforation (rupture).

Gallbladder disease can cause pain in the right shoulder blade area. Gallbladder disease is associated typically with nausea, right upper abdominal pain that is worse after a high fat meal.

Muscle strain can also cause pain in between the shoulder blades.

Lastly, heart disease/heart problems can cause pain in this area. If you are having chest pain, this should also be something that is evaluated for (although it would be less likely as you are young).

The fact that you have pain in the upper abdomen, problems with swallowing food and abdominal pain suggests that you may have acid reflux and possibly irritation of the esophageal lining, which can also cause pain in the back.

I encourage you to have an exam so that this can be diagnosed and treated.
Again, if you are having severe pain, dizziness, chest pain along with the pain in between the shoulder blades at this time, I recommend you go to the ER.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!