Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

My stomach has been hurting me all day, No relief..what are

My stomach has been hurting me all day, No relief..what are the symptoms of appendicitis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Any diarrhea,fevers or chills?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Just constant pain

Dr B :

I see, when did the pain start?

Customer:

also aching in my lower back and the pain started this morning

Dr B :

Any history of ulcers?

Customer:

i took an oxycodone and it didn't touch the pain. no history of ulcers

Customer:

when I lay down the pain is slightly worse thatn when I sit up or walk

Dr B :

is your belly rigid?

Customer:

seems to be worse on my left side..low down on my stomach.

Customer:

my stomach seems to be very bloated

Customer:

just ate 3 oranges today and 4 popsicles although last night ate too much pizza

Dr B :

Have you had any bowel movements or gas?

Customer:

yes, twice today had bowel movements and gas,not much relief..have the feeling like I want to vomit but can't

Dr B :

I see, how bad is the pain on a scale of 1-10?

Customer:

I am sitting up presently so its a 3 earlier it was an 7 and 8

Customer:

when I lay down it goes back to being very painful

Customer:

lots of pressure

Dr B :

Is the pain worse during or after meals?

Customer:

haven't eaten today except for the oranges and popsicles and really didnt notice a difference

Customer:

I did take a shower and let the hot water beat on my back and the pain subsided somewhat for about 20 minutes

Customer:

It feels like the beginning of a labor contraction that tightness..obviously that is not the problem at 55 year s old

Dr B :

I see

Dr B :

What you are experiencing sounds like an ulcer

Customer:

I think if it was bad pizza i would have gotten sick last night..not this morning..am I right?

Customer:

What do you do for an ulcer?

Dr B :

Not necessarily

Dr B :

An ulcer is treated with antacids , or acid reducers

Customer:

will Tums help an ulcer?

Dr B :

yes, it may provide temporary relief

Customer:

how many do I chew at a time?

Dr B :

You can take 2-3

Customer:

I just took a second one..how long will I know if that is the problem?

Dr B :

it may be about an hour, but tums will not always relieve the symptoms of an ulcer, many times a drug like pepcid or omeprazole will be required

Dr B :

to reduce the acid

Customer:

does laying down fit with the symptoms feeling worse ? and what causes anulcer?

Dr B :

Many times pain from an ulcer will radiate to the back, and it is worse when you lay down

Dr B :

This does not sound like an appendicitis

Customer:

what causes an ulcer?

Dr B :

Excess acid secretion in the stomachh

Dr B :

stomach

Customer:

is it from the foods I eat?

Dr B :

No, it occurs in many people, and is rarely associated with food

Customer:

what else should I do tonight to feel better?

Dr B :

Try to eat something and drink milk

Customer:

Should it go away in a few hours do you think?

Dr B :

The pain of an ulcer can be unpredictable so I cannot say for sure

Customer:

O.K., thanks I appreciate your help

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session

Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD