tazechip
tazechip,
Experience:  dasdasd
18722459

What is the lifespan of cardiac stents My father has 5 stents

What is the lifespan of cardiac stents? My father has 5 stents to his RCA that were put in for an MI 5 years ago. He does not have any symptoms. Is it reasonable to request an angiogram to see how the stents are? Can he be restented if he has symptoms or would his next option be a CABG? Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Does he still follow up with a cardiologist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not the same cardiologist that did the procedure. He now goes to a VA hospital and I believe he can only see a cardiologist if the attending approves it. He usually sees a different attending each time because the attendings are doing their VA rotation.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
So has he recently had any testing like a stress test?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, the usual course in a case like his is to get a stress test every year or so unless he's having symptoms like chest pain that might indicate one or more of the stents has occluded. Stent life is variable, but usually it can happen within a year and up to five years after insertion, and there really is no way to predict this with one given patient. There'd really be no need for another cardiac catheterization unless he failed a stress test or had new changes on his EKG
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.