Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Daughter has 101.5 fever and body aches with cold

18 year old daughter. Has 101.5 temp. Body aches. Complains she's cold. Has been feeling poorly for about 17 hours. Hasn't eaten anything out of ordinary. Hasn't been out of country. Did have ACL surgery April 19th. Recovery has been going well. Says knee really aches. It started aching before temperature rose about 10 hours before. Says throat is sore. Complained of upset stomach last night but doesn't seem to be an issue now. Should we be really concerned now? Are treating with altering Tyenol and Advil. Making her drink water and use cold wash cloths.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Q. Is the knee hot, tender and swollen?
Q. Does she have a rash anywhere on the body?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

A. Not swollen any more than it has been.

A. No rash.

Thanks for the details.
The symptoms she has are typical of a viral attack or sore throat or flu.
A high grade fever, loss of appetite, generalized body aches, fatigue and lethargy.
It is important to look out for a rash in these circumstances as it can appear on the 4th or 5th day of the illness but does not always appear either.
Bacterial infections usually present isidiously and not so aggressively.
The mainstay of treatment in viral illnesses is symptomatic relief and supportive therapy. Viral influenza and infectious mononucleosis are the most common viral illnesses in your daughter's age group.
You are already on the right track with the Advil and the tylenol.
You should start Advil 800 mg thrice daily. And tylenol 2 tablets can be repeated every 6 - 8 hours as per reqiurement.
Chlorhexidine mouth wash plus saline gargles four times a day.
Steam inhalations with menthol four times a day.
Cold sponging if required with fanning must be done for the high grade fever.
Lots of fluids especially gatorade or Pedialyte oral rehydration solutions since these replenish lost electrolyte stores as well.
An OTC anti-histamine like Benadryl or cetrizine should also be started twice daily.
Lozenges with anesthetic properties to soothe and numb the sore throat.
The fever should subside in a couple of days and her general physical health should start to come up almost by the end of 24 hours following initiation of supportive treatment, however if symptoms fail to alleviate or get worse after 48 hours then a visit to the physician for an evaluation will be mandatory.
She should be shifted on liquid and soft and a bland diet to avoid nausea and vomiting which can further aggravate the dehydrated state that a high grade fever causes.
Bed rest is also essential.
Hope this helps.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
This is Dr. Davidyou should be concerned.she could have a septic joint infection in her kneeshe needs to be brought to a hospital for blood cultures and blood test to check for infection in her blood stream and elevation of her WBC white blood cell count which I bet is elevated.she most likely needs broad spectrum IV antibioticsshe needs a throat culture as well.prior knee surgery and if she has foreign bodies in her knee from the surgery increase risks for infection at that site which can spread to the blood should bring her to a hospital right away.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again: for using