Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

Im having severe pain in my right temple area. It almost

I'm having severe pain in my right temple area. It almost feels as though the vein in my right temple area is swollen and tender. I've been to tow different neurologists with no luck. trying to find out what else something like this could be
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Tharun :

Hello

Dr.Tharun :

Since when?Is there any other symptoms like vision problems? Pain in other parts of body?Is the pain present all the time or some times only/.

Dr.Tharun :

Does touching the area is painful?

Customer:

Since about January of this year. No other symptons, no vision problems. No other body pain. Pain is present all the time, on right side temple area only.

Dr.Tharun :

Is the area painful to touch?

Customer:

Yes, tender to touch. It is painful to lay on my right side with right side of face on pillow/bed. Also, area is tender when brushing my hair.

Dr.Tharun :

Is there pain on opening and closing the jaw?

Customer:

No jaw pain

Dr.Tharun :

Any ear ache or ear infection?

Customer:

No

Dr.Tharun :

Is there any fever>?

Customer:

No fever

Dr.Tharun :

Does taking these medications relieve the pain/

Customer:

It help somewhat but the pain never really goes away.

Dr.Tharun :

Any sinus problems ? Is there nausea , vomiting associated with it?

Dr.Tharun :

Any scans which have been done?

Customer:

No sinus problems, nausea or vomiting. I have had a CAT scan and MRI which neurologist said looked fine.

Dr.Tharun :

In that case any intracranial tumors or swelling has been ruled out like aneurysms .We should looking into other causes like temporal arteritis which is inflammation of arteries and can prsent with these symptoms.This is not so common in your age,but you can discuss it with your doctor.

Dr.Tharun :

Usually confirmed by blood tests and biopsy of the temporal artery.

Customer:

I was doing some research on the internet and came across giant cell arteritis, is this something similar?

Dr.Tharun :

Yes.

Customer:

how is it usually treated?

Dr.Tharun :

Usually steroids to control the autoimmune reaction.

Customer:

Is this something that is fixable or something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life?

Dr.Tharun :

Headaches can come down after some time with the use of medications and as other structural causes have been ruled out it is expected to resolve gradually .

Customer:

what is the cause?

Dr.Tharun :

You should also check your Blood pressure which could give such symptoms.It could be a benign headache with no particular cause.Continuing the medications and doing tests to rule out rare causes would be the be best option.

Dr.Tharun :

Adding exercises and walking can sometimes reduce the symptoms.

Dr.Tharun :

Did you have any head injury before?

Customer:

So, your recommendation is to first talk to our doctor about the possibility of this being temporal arteritis?

Customer:

No prior head injury

Dr.Tharun :

Yes , since most of the tests have come negative.

Dr.Tharun :

Any walking or speaking problem?

Customer:

what i've read indicates this is something that is commonly found in individuals over 50. since i'm only 20, would it be unusual for this to be my problem?

Customer:

no problems walking or speaking.

Dr.Tharun :

Yes, It is uncommon at your age as mentioned before, but can occur at young ages rarely.Better to rule out .

Dr.Tharun :

Any neck problems ?

Customer:

no neck problems

Customer:

if testing rules this out, is there anything else it could possibly be?

Dr.Tharun :

Most of the serious conditions have been ruled out,So remaining is regular headache which may resolve gradually with medications.

Customer:

would tumors or aneurysms show up on MRI and/or CAT scan?

Dr.Tharun :

Most of them can be seen in MRI

Customer:

any other advise/recommendations before i sign off?

Dr.Tharun :

Try adding some exercises and healthy diet with plenty of water(sometimes dehydration can cause headaches).Discuss the possibility of temporal arteritis with your doctor.

Customer:

ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX time.

Dr.Tharun :

All the best

Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS