Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had umbilical hernia repair with mesh a year ago, now I have

I had umbilical hernia repair with mesh a year ago, now I have constant pain in the area!!! Sitting, eating, and previous to a bowl movement seem to be the big factors in my chronic pain. In all honesty, I have put on approx. eight to ten pounds in the past year as well. Should I try to lose weight? Is all this pain a year later normal?
The weight gain is a possible factor as there may be tension on the mesh causing the pain. First try to lose weight. But there are other possibilities that exist that can give pain after a hernia repair with mesh. There may be scar tissue formed, or a retained suture or infection. Also a recurrent small hernia may have occurred. You should not be having pain this much time after the repair. You should re visit the surgeon for a careful examination and cause.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your quick response! If it is due to the weight gain...that is sad because I am 5'6" and weigh 143lbs....which should a normal range. If it is due to scar tissue...will I ultimately have to deal with this pain forever? Returning to my original surgeon is not an option as I have moved...so I will see my new family doctor. What kind of test would she have to run to find the problem?
Most important is a careful examination. She may wish to get imaging studies such as ultrasound or cat scan depending on what she finds on exam. At your weight it is not likely causing the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
good luck