DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

extreme weight loss and has lost her apetite to eat.

My mother is 58 years old weighs 80lbs and is currently taking Levothyroxine.. She has had extreme weight loss and has lost her apetite to eat.. What can I do to make her start eating again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Do you know her TSH level?

use reply to respond
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No i dont.. It has been several months since shes been seen and she refuses medical treatment because she thinks she was misdiagnosed..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
What is here dose of synthroid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shes taking levothyroxine and her does is 25mg
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
I think you mean micro grams
25 mg would be an over dose

You need to see here TSH she needs help and she might be correct she might not need the thyroid medication

Conversely she is very hypothyroid and this causes a very clever mental behavior that is also irrational and sometimes the hypothyroid person needs to be hospitalized to kick start the thyroid replacement.

You will need to get all pertinent family members involved, they to get ensure and other supplement foods into her, but try to get her an evaluation.

If she gets to the point that she is a danger to herself then you should have her doctor take action on that basis.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.