tazechip
tazechip, Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am taking losartan 100mg and 50mg of atenolol for hypertension.

I am taking losartan 100mg and 50mg of atenolol for hypertension. I believe that the beta blocker is causing weight gain and low energy. Is there some other medication combination which is effective?
Category: Medical
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
How long have you been on the atenolol? Have you been screened for diabetes, thyroid conditions, vitamin deficiencies, cortisol abnormalities?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Several years on atenolol. I have been screened for all of above.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
And the weight gain and fatigue are recent? Have you asked your doctor about switching away from a beta blocker?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.when I stop the beta blocker I tend to go into atrial fibrillation, although this seems to now be controlled by keeping my tsh at 1.0. I have recently switched from Amour thyroid to Levothyroxine to gain better control of thyroid levels.
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
And your cardiologist thinks a beta blocker is essential for you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is what I am wondering. It seems clear to me, after three years of thyroid adjustments and no evidence of heart disease that the afib is thyroid related. However, I want to continue good blood pressure control
Expert:  tazechip replied 5 years ago.
Well, there are other beta blockers that are more selective than atenolol, so switching to one of them would be one option. If the atenolol were more for blood pressure control than the afib, a different family of blood pressure medication could also be considered.