Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

What is asphyxia due to aspiration of stomach contents I

What is asphyxia due to aspiration of stomach contents? I am looking at toxicology report which indicates blood alcohol level of .13%, fluoxetine 0.11 mg/L, Class of benzodiazepines = POS.ELISA, hydrocodone of 0.14mgL, cannabinoids: POS.ELISA, Morphine , codeine and cannabinoids are POS by EIA, and Alprazolam 32 ng/ml. Diagnosis and cause of death is asphyxia due to aspiration of stomach contents. Secondary diagnoses: pulmonary congestion; cholelithiasis; small uterine fibroids.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 3 years ago.
Aspiration of stomach contents occurs when a person is impaired and vomits. the acid and bile in the stomach cause a chemical pneumonitis which causes failure of the lungs to exchange oxygen. This person was impaired by the drugs present in her system.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can there be any other reasons other than the diagnoses and cause of death listed inthe Autopsy Report and the drugs listed in the Blood Drug Analysis (Tox Report)?
What is fluoxetine, benzodiazepines, hydrocodone, cannabinoids and alprazolam? There is a comment, "Blood sample homogenized" on the Tox Report, also. This was a client of mine who passed away. She did have a drinking problem and a history of cancer of the thyroid. I do not know the status of the latter.
Expert:  Internist replied 3 years ago.
all of the drugs listed can cause respiratory depression. They can cause loss of consciousness and aspiration of gastric contents which can basically cause a person to choke to death from lack of oxygen. All the other reasons in the report would not cause death. With this degree of respiratory depressants present in the body a homogenized blood sample would have no meaning. She may also have had alcohol in his system which would add to the respiratory depression. Cancer of the thyroid would not cause aspiration pneumonia/ *****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Expert:  Internist replied 3 years ago.

Edited by Internist on 6/1/2011 at 7:50 PM EST

Board Certified Internal Medicine/ G.I., Fellow American College of Physicians
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.