911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

near my sternum it is sore to touch. I have severe pain in

Customer Question

near my sternum it is sore to touch. I have severe pain in that area and have difficulty breathing. I have no appetite and at times I get nauseated. I have been taking pain pills to sleep at night but cannot lie on my stomach. It hurts to sit up but feels better if I lie on my side. The pain is at and below my sternum. today it has moved just above my navel and it's painful to button my slacks. I feel weak and just today my left upper arm feels achy. I can't continue taking pain pills to sleep and get thru the day. should I go see my family doctor or an emergency room. I take blood pressure medicine and lipitor for cholesterol. please help as I can't function with this pain. (I am a 59 year old female)
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

Yes you absolutely should got and be seen for this asap... tonight.... you might try calling your family doctor and asking him what to do but since you are having pain in your chest.... even though it is in your sternum... he will likely tell you to go to the ER....

911DOC :

could this be your heart?

911DOC :

unlikely based on what you are telling me....

911DOC :

but it could be pericarditis (inflammation of the heart lining) or myocarditis.... inflammation of the heart itself....

911DOC :

could also be a collection of fluid around the heart, or it could be pain from the sternum bone itselft and without trauma this is going to be something that needs to be fully investigated... might require a hospital admission and CT scan and even a a bone marrow biopsy....

911DOC :

standing by...

Customer:

I am in my office but will be leaving shortly. I'm going to go to the emergency room. It's been hurting now for about 5 days. The pain is almost unbearable.

911DOC :

good... if you feel it would hinder your driving then please call the ambulance... they get called all the time for lots of silly things and this is not a silly thing...

Customer:

thank you - you're right. but you know my gender always thinks we're "silly" and tend to overlook our pain. I have someone who will drive me.

911DOC :

then please go now....

Customer:

thank you

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician