Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I accidentally stabbed a knife into the palm of my hand, about

I accidentally stabbed a knife into the palm of my hand, about an inch below my middle finger. I was able to quickly stop the bleeding, but my finger is still numb. It has been about 20 hours since the accident. I have complete use of the finger otherwise. Will the numbness eventually go away or should I see a hand specialist? Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 5 years ago.
Hello

I am an orthopedic surgeon and would be glad to help.

You are likely to have cut the digital nerve supplying the finger and this is probably causing the numbness.
You need to see a hand specialist who would be able to examine you and repair the digital nerve if it is cut.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there any chance that the nerve would heal without the help of a hand surgeon?

A cut injury to digital nerve needs surgical repair as cut ends tend to retract and loose contact with each other.This separation does not allow the neurons to regain continuity unless the nerve is repaired.