khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

If your gallbladder ruptured, wouldnt it kill you fairly quickly

Customer Question

If your gallbladder ruptured, wouldn't it kill you fairly quickly? I am having pain in my upper right abdomen (which I'm now suspecting is a pulled muscle or something). I do have a low grade fever I think (its been ranging from 98.6-99.2; I do live in the desert). The pain was shooting off and on last night when I would turn a certain way but now its just kind of a constant sore like pain. It's been about 12 hours since the pain started, wouldn't I have died by now if it had ruptured? I have no signs of jaundice and I had a very small bowel movement (2 pellets, sorry for the gross detail) which were a normal color. I do have an appetite as well. Basically my question is if your gallbladder ruptured wouldnt it kill you within hours technically? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
If the infected gallbladder ruptures, the infection will spread all over in the abdomen and enter into the blood, resulting in sepsis. You would get a septic shock and be killed in hours.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I should be fine if its been 12 hours correct?
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
It depends on your health condition. It is an emergency situation. You need a surgery as soon as possible to clean up the infection and the ruptured gallbladder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay i am still having a hard time getting an answer. basically how long does it take for a gallbladder rupture to kill you? 4 hours? 6 hours? on average?
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
If properly treated, typical cases of surgically correctable peritonitis have a mortality rate of about <10% in otherwise healthy patients, which rises to about 40% in the elderly, and/or in those with significant underlying illness, as well as in cases that present late (after 48 hours). If untreated, generalised peritonitis is almost always fatal.
This means if you go to the hospital after 48 hours, there is a 40% of risk that you will die.
You should go to the ER as soon as possible.