Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

My stomach has been cramping on and off for the past week.

Customer Question

My stomach has been cramping on and off for the past week. Went to the hospital emergency room two days ago because of the pain and they determined that I had backed up colon. They gave me a bottle of clear liquid to "clean me out." I'm still in pain. How long does this "cleanning" take and is there anything else I could do to help it move along quicker. Also, what shall I eat on not eat? I am staying away from all food as this causes the pain also.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.
Have you had a long time problem with constipation? Have you had a good bowel movement since taking the liquid? What studies did they do at the ER?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At the ER, they took x-rays of by bowls and stomach. That is when they determined that I was backed-up. I did have one good "explosion" hours after taking the liquid but it did not help the cramping in the stomach area. I have not had a long time problem with constipation.
Any other GI problems before now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Non
And all they did was x-rays--not a ct scan of the abdomen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No - I was a little concerned that x-rays was the only test they did but I figured they knew what they were doing. Oh, they did do some blood test but I forgot to ask what the results were from that.
Well, this could just be an impacted stool problem, but, if you've been having normal bowel movements up until now, it needs further workup. You need to see a gastroenterologist for scoping to make sure this isn't colon cancer. Irritable bowel syndrome could be all that it is, and there is medication for that, but, even if, say, today, you have a great bowel movement and feel fine, you shouldn't assume that all's well.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for some insight to my problem. What can I eat that will not start the cramping once more. Like I said I have not eaten since 7:00 am (it's 1:30 pm) and I do think I need to eat but what?????????
For now I'd stick to liquids and soup. Solid food if and when things are better.