Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

tightness, severe pain from right butt cheek goiing down thigh

tightness, severe pain from right butt cheek goiing down thigh to calf with numbness and shooting pain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 years ago.
With the symptoms that you are mentioning, you are most likely having what is called as "Sciatica". This is a condition in which a disc in the spine bulges and compresses on the sciatic nerve (which is the nerve that goes into the lower limbs and is one of the major nerves supplying the lower limbs).
Compression or impingement of this nerve causes one to have severe shooting pain that travels from the lower back into the buttock of the affected side down to the calf, which is what you are having.
I would strongly recommend that you consult your doctor for further evaluation of your condition. You will need an MRI of the spine for this and if indicated you may require surgery as well.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My chiropractor thought it to be more of a pulled muscle. The pain has increasing gotten worse since March and I do have a scheduled surgery for my veins in my legs in June because of improper blood flow. The doctor explained it to me as my veins being completely open and they need to laser them. My lower back didn't hurt until I went to get a massage then after that I needed to be adjusted.... go figure. I'm making an appointment at my regular doctor this week and the pain is non existent when standing or exercising. I cant sit without pain in my right back of my leg to my foot. Do you still think it sounds like a disc problem? (I've just heard such horror stories about back surgery)
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 years ago.
I still think that a disc problem should be ruled out as a priority therefore I would definitely evaluate you for a disc problem. Therefore, although I would also consider other possibilities but I would keep disc problem in mind when examining you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Regards