Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I get dizzy when I lay flat on my back on the floor and try

Customer Question

I get dizzy when I lay flat on my back on the floor and try to do the simple excercise my chiropractor has me doing. It just started on Monday. When I go to get up OMG I got so dizzy I had to lay back down. It happened again this evening but not as severe. I went to the doc today and they say I may have an inner ear fluid which they cannot see. My head and over my eye have also been hurting a little as is down the back of my neck.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
This could be a vestibular neuritis which is an inflammation of the inner ear.
This would require medication for the dizziness and time to go away.
If the doc thinks it is from infection then antibiotics would have been in order, so I suspect they are thinking viral infection.

This could also be something called BPV or benign positional vertigo, which is curable by the ENT doctor with a physical maneuver called the Epley maneuver.

With the head pain infection is more likely and things such as migraine, tumor and other neurological problems should be considered, but your doctor's exam should have excluded some of this.

If this continues you should see an ENT doctor for testing
good luck
let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he thinks it's a viral infection. I had sinus infection about 2 months ago and took antibiotics for it. I can say that with this awful weather we have been having my sinuses still seemed to be bothering me. I used to take NasalChrom every morning but stopped doing it a few months ago. He thinks doing steam and a netti pot will cure the ear. My ear is not painfully hurting but does not feel right. Also over my left eye and down to the neck on my left side. I have been putting heat on my neck because it was sore the other day when all this started Could it be from sleeping crooked and waking up with a headache and stiff neck?
Yes all of these factors could come into play as far as the pain.
If this gets worse though, I would have it reconsidered for bacterial infection.
However, viral is much more likely.
good luck again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would sleeping crooked and waking up with the sore head and neck cause my ear to get fluid and then getting this vertigo? It only happens when I lay flat on my back on the floor trying to do some exercises!!!! Do you think the steam will really help? I had sinus surgery some 15 years ago for a deviated septum and I had to do steam 3 times a day for 3 months. The ENT also said it would be good to do steam on a daily basis forever. Do you think the steam or Netti Pot will cure my ear?
There is no way to predict that.
If this is bacteria you will need antibiotics.
If it is viral it is going to clear up no matter what and the neti pot will help.
The sleeping fund did not cause the ear fluid, but could contribute to the sore neck.
Good luck again