Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Hi I am 39 yrs old Female, my blood sugar level is 112 when

Hi I am 39 yrs old Female, my blood sugar level is 112 when done a fasting blood test, what could it indicate? based on reference 70-110. thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

did you have the glucose tolerance test?
are you obese?
do you have family history of diabetes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had glucose tolerance test and negative
I am not obese, I am 171cm and 65kgr.
no family history of diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

The normal fasting glucose levels may vary according to the laboratory, but in general up to 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) are considered normal for a fasting blood glucose test.

The impaired fasting glucose is defined as glucose levels of 100 to 125 mg per dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol per L) in fasting patients as per american academy of family physician.

The person with impaired glucose levels are at more risk of developing diabetes in the long run.The daily exercise, diet modifications should be advised to control the sugar in a natural way.

Here is the link for more information

diabetes

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt answer, one doctor asked for a blood smear test and this test is done in USA but not where I am. From your answer I understand that I have risk of diabetes and I shouldn't be worried to see a hematologist, is that right?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

Do you have ay symptoms?
what type of test did your doctor ask you to do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was just asked to do a blood smear test. The only symptoms I have is a slight high blood pressure and I am not as energetic as I used to be. My menstural periods for last 6 months are shot (3 days) or too long for usual but very very little, thick blood cloths, and during that period I feel sick, vomiting or nausea my gums bleed more and swell.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

The blood smear examination may be done as suggested by your doctor.It gives information about the number, size of cells.

It is useful in diagnosing any abnormality which may be seen in leukaemia, lymphoma, blood dsorder etc.

Here is the link for more information

blood smear

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you