Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Hi, After an argument with family members I noticed some mild to moderate pain in my up

After an argument with family members I noticed some mild to moderate pain in my upper right arm and then I got a weird tight feeling in my chest. This lasted for about an hour. I took an antacid and I feel better. I am in menopause, have had a stress test, EKG and echo last summer with negative results. I do feel some tightness in my chest when I lie down sometimes. My father died of heart disease at 45. I am a 50 year old female.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
dear customer,

do you have chest pain, shoulder pain, or any numbness or tingling in left arm?
did you have the sonography , angiography or 2d echo done?
how long are symptoms?
do you take any drugs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No shoulder pain or numbness/tingling in left arm. The pain was in the upper right arm and very brief. The chest tightness lasted much longer (about an hour). I had an echo, stress test, nuclear? test last year. I did not have an angiography.

I take a small dose of synthroid and 40 mg of simvastatin, vitamins.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I lost you for a moment. I am back.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

The pain in the upper right arm may be due to nerve irritation, disc prolapse, tendinitis, bursititis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fracture, injury, etc.

The chest tightness may be due to lung infection, pleurisy, myocardial ischemia, etc.

The treatment is according to underlying cause.The acute cholecystitis may also cause right shoulder pain along with pain in right hypochondrium.

You should have the relevant investigations done like sonography whole abdomen, EKG, exercise treadmill test, chest x-ray, blood counts etc to know the underlying cause.

The infectious cause should also be ruled out.The treatment depends on the underlying etiology.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do the terms cholecystitis and hypochondrium mean?

Is it possible that ny symptoms reflect GERD since they were alleviated by the Rontidine tab I took?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

The infection of the gall bladder is known as cholecystitis and it may also cause pain in the upper right shoulder and the upper right abdomen.

The gastritis may also cause pain ine the epigastrium region which may sometime be felt below sternum as if it were in chest.

You may also have the upper GI endoscopy done after consulting a gastroenterologist to know the status and rule out any gastritis.

The h2 blockers and proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole are helpful in such situations.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If my symptoms are angina, would the acid reducer tablet relieve the chest pain?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

The symptoms of angina are for short time only and are relieved on with time in some cases even if you do not take any drug.

The EKG, teadmill test will help us to rule out the angina.The drugs like ranitidine helps in gastritis and your symptoms may be due to it since you had your symptoms improved on taking it.

The angina chest pain may radiate to left shoulder, neck, jaw and left arm.

Its better that we have the investigations done as mentioned to know the underlying cause.

The treatment is according to the cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice