Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have a post nasal drip which has clogged my left ear to the

Customer Question

I have a post nasal drip which has clogged my left ear to the point of almost deafness. How do I unclog it safely?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
how long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For the last 8 months. At first it was just a few days a week. Now it is constant.
OK
And how long has the ear been like this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would say about 3 months now. Some days I hear better than others, but for the most part is feels clogged and I just feel like squirting some kind of warm liquid in the ear and force it to unplug. Someone suggested vinegar which many claim disolves mucus. Is there something that I can spray my throat with to clear the nasal drip away from the ear part?
what ENT doctor has looked at this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not seen an ENT. I did see my doctor a month ago and explained my problem to her. She suggested 1 Sudafed tablet each morning along with a prescription nasal spray, Fluticasone Propionate. It has not helped at all and I am seeking another solution. Well, I see you and I are not going anywhere with this and I'm sure your next email will tell me to contact an ENT which is what I had in mind but was looking for different views before doing that.
The problem is that you have a misconception about what is going on here, I believe.
The problem is from the drum inward, not in the external canal.
You can not clear this out because it likely represents fluid behind the drum, or a thing coating of liquefied rash that has coated the drum.
Or, from inflammation , it already represents nerve damage in the hearing apparatus because of the amount of time gone by.

The ENT visit is not an optional thing at this point, but a mandatory, if not emergency visit as inflammation can cause permanent hearing loss as can fluid in the ear that is left unattended.

In some cases a medication such as sudafed will dry up the Eustachian tube and actually prevent drainage from the middle ear, making the problem worse.

Therefore, I would see an ENT tomorrow, if not an emergency room doctor tonight.
good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.