PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD

Hello. My husband noticed a large bruise on the back of my

Hello. My husband noticed a large bruise on the back of my leg tonight, it goes across the back of the knee in a line, then there is a wide, irregular multi-colored bruise just below where the knee bends (behind the knee, back of leg). I did not hit the area that I can remember. No other bruises. No pain. Looks like it is getting older in color.

Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  PK replied 3 years ago.

PK :

Hello

PK :

Welcome to just answer.

PK :

I am here to answer you .

PK :

Did your husband hurt himself ?

Customer:

Hi. I have a $10 credit on my account.

Customer:

No, he saw the bruise on my leg.

PK :

Ok

PK :

Do you remember hurting yourself ?

Customer:

It is behind the knee and also just below on the upper calf. About 4 inches wide, irregular, looks old.

Customer:

No, I don't remember any injury and it doesn't hurt.

PK :

Do you know when it appeared ?

Customer:

No, he just saw it tonight. But it is different dark colors so it doesn't look fresh.

PK :

ok

Customer:

He saw it on me.

PK :

Do you have any complaints associated with it ?

Customer:

No.

PK :

Ok

PK :

Have you got a bruise in the past as well?

Customer:

It is so strange to have such a large bruise when it doesn't hurt to the touch and you don't remember hurting. It looks like I sat on a chair and it pressed in hard but I don't remember anything.

PK :

ok

Customer:

No, I have never had a bruise that I didn't hit and that didn't hurt.

PK :

Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Customer:

I use Prilosec 40 mg for a year for GERD and 5 mg. doxepin (very small dose) for sleep. Also, small dose of Synthroid.

PK :

Ok

PK :

Thank you for the information .

PK :

At times trivial trauma can lead to bruising due to rupture of superficial vessels.

PK :

Thus usually it is nothing to worry about .

Customer:

Yes, I bruise easily and am fair-skinned.

PK :

Ok

PK :

That does mean you did get a trivial trauma.

Customer:

I also sometimes have slightly low platelet counts but my doctor says it is usually in the normal range.

PK :

In case it increases in size or you get additional complaints then it will need a check.

Customer:

What would it mean?

PK :

Well that is the reason you should get investigations like a platelet count along with bleeding and clotting time.

PK :

To rest assured you should get the tests I mentioned in your next visit.

Customer:

Okay. I want to add that for a few days I have stomped my feet on concrete to get mud off of my shoes and also dog doo (sorry about that). It has been raining a lot and I had to stomp my feet but the other leg has no bruise.l

PK :

Well many a times bruises do develop as vessels a re superficial and a mild trauma can also cause it .You being fair skinned makes these even more prominent .

PK :

In all likeliness this is nothing to worry about .

PK :

Just to be sure I did mention that you get the tests I mentioned in your next visit.

Customer:

Thank you. I will call my doctor on Monday. You can see I have used the service a number of times because I have an anxiety disorder. So you are pretty sure I'm okay till Monday?

PK :

You should watch out for swelling in your leg and also any complaints while walking .

PK :

Yes you should be fine

PK :

Please watch out for the signs I mentioned.

Customer:

I will watch for anything else.

Customer:

Swelling or pain.

PK :

Swelling ,pain ,increased bruising .

PK :

Development of bruises elsewhere as well.

PK :

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions.
Do let me know if you have any further doubts.
Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then that will I be credited for my work.
Thank you.

Customer:

Okay. No bruises anywhere else which is unusual for me.

PK :

Ok great ..

PK :

Seems fine to me.

Customer:

Where can I tip? I don't see any place.

PK :

You just need to click on the green accept button

PK :

Once you do that the site will credit me for my work.

Customer:

I wanted to add money to you.

Customer:

I did hit accept.

PK :

That you can add a bonus once you hit accept.

PK :

No the accept.t has not come through.

Customer:

Okay, I'll try again. It took me off the last time. Thank you.

PK, Doctor
Experience: MD