Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.

intense unexplained itching all over body

Ok i have been itching for over 4 months now all over my body. It gets so intense I wanna cry. Sometimes i itch so much that i scratch until i bleed. Sometimes i get bumps that resemble misquito bites, but rarely. There is no rash unless i scratch so hard that i create a rash but it goes away shortly after. I have tried literally everything. I have taken ice baths in corn startch and baking soda, i tried moisturizers for itchy dry skin, i have switched to all hypoallergenic, unscented products, i have done everything. I went to the doctors, a few different doctors actually, and have gotten different answers. The first doctor thought it might be scabies, since my fiance and i both were itching. he said it didn't LOOK like scabies, but it could be so he perscribed the medicine. the whole family was treated. still, the itching didn't stop. a month later we went to a different doctor who said it definitely didnt look like scabies, that i was having an allergic reaction to something.. but that doesn't explain why my fiance is itching just as bad as i am. still we switched to all hypoallergenic products, even went as far as spending 50 dollars on those expensive mattress and pillow protectors that are for bed bugs and dust mites. we have cleaned everything OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. high heat in the washer and drier, vacuumed, etc. its not from stress, we itch at random times like laying in bed comfortably watching a movie and an intense itch attack will take over. its not from heat because it will be ice cold and i'll just be chillin and i'll get them. its itching ALL over my body, from my neck down to my legs. never on my head or feet. its my arms, hands, CHEST especially, stomach, thighs (never my groin area), behind my knees especially, and my calves. i'm losing my mind, it is the worst thing to possibly go through, it itches so bad it HURTS. im tired of scratching my skin raw, i dont know what else to do. i can't afford to go see a dermatologist because my insurance doesnt cover it. HELP!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 3 years ago.
Dear ,

This is indeed a difficult issue to deal with in this venue. However, I will try to offer some options for you.

1) Have you added ANY meds, even OTC ones?

2) Have you had a rather sudden onset of sunlight exposure?

3) Do you tan in a UV bed?

4) PLEASE---THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT!! Do NOT scratch. You must resist. Scratching is the direct cause for the release of histamine into your system. I'm sure you understand that histamine is the main ingredient that induces allergies and itching. We can counteract it in several ways until you get a definitive answer from your doctor:
Start some OTC Pepcid or Zantac (an histamine Type 2 blocker)...so we are not using it for your stomach.
Start OTC Claritin or zyrtec daily ( an histamine Type 1 blocker).
At night take an "AVEENO" bath that will sooth and help subside the itch. Colloidial oatmeal is also good. Otherwise avoid putting anything else on your skin. Use only Dove soap taking a somewhat tepid shower (not real hot as this causes skin drying and irritation).

5) It is peculiar that your fiance has it as well. You must consider an and all possibilities where you and he could have picked up something. I would also advice a repeat treatment for scabies using a different agent. It is completely safe. DO NOT expect your itching to resolve for several weeks after using this as the body's defenses have to remove all the mites that may be under the skin.

6) Have you moved to a new house or brought in new furniture, beds, traveled outside the US, etc.?

7) Do you see any hives associated with redness? Or, do these areas just spontaneously start with nothing apparent in the skin? When you were a child did you suffer skin issues?

8) Do you use oral contraceptives. And finally, what is your occupation?

I'll wait to hear back from you before we proceed further.

Regards,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) Have you added ANY meds, even OTC ones? NO

2) Have you had a rather sudden onset of sunlight exposure? NO

3) Do you tan in a UV bed? NO

4) I DO NOT USE ANY LOTIONS ANYMORE... ALSO, I ALREADY BATHE IN AVEENO WITH OATMEAL...

6) Have you moved to a new house or brought in new furniture, beds, traveled outside the US, etc.? NO

7) Do you see any hives associated with redness? NO. Or, do these areas just spontaneously start with nothing apparent in the skin? YES ... When you were a child did you suffer skin issues? NO

SOMETIMES I WILL GET MISQUITO LIKE BITE MARKS THAT ITCH. NOT USUALLY THOUGH.

8) Do you use oral contraceptives. NO And finally, what is your occupation? NO OCCUPATION. STAY AT HOME MOM... I AM ALSO PREGNANT BUT I DONT THINK THATS CAUSING THE ITCHING SEEIN AS HOW IM ONLY 5 WEEKS PREGNANT AND THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR 4 MONTHS. PLUS I DONT KNOW WHY MY BOYFRIEND ITCHES AS WELL. HE HAS IT BAD IN THE WEBS OF HIS FINGERS, BUT NO BITE MARKS OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE SCABIES. HE WAS TREATED AS WELL. IM SCARED TO BE TREATED AGAIN THIS TIME DUE TO MY PREGNANCY. NO DOCTOR WILL DO A BIOPSY OF MY SKIN TO CHECK FOR PHYSICAL SCABIES AND I CANT AFFORD TO PAY A DERMATOLOGIST :( MY SON WAKES UP THROUGH THE NIGHT AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS BECAUSE HE IS ITCHING. HE IS 6 MONTHS OLD AND WAS TREATED FOR SCABIES AS WELL JUST IN CASE...

Regards,

Dr. Frank MD

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 3 years ago.
You may have just answered your question.

The fact that your finance has "it bad in the webs of his fingers" is absolutely a positive sign of scabies. It is one of the first places that I look at on a patient as well as the palm side of the wrists and pubic areas.

Here is a web site that may be helpful to you in your search for an answer: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/scabies-topic-overview

In addition, I would send your finance to the doctor. Often times we can lift up an area that seems to be infected and then actually see the mite under the microscope.

I really think this is your answer.

Good Luck to you and your family,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But we have showed many doctors (I took my fiance with me and showed them his hands) and they all said its not scabies. ..... ?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 3 years ago.
Consider these options:

1) Get a second opinion.

2) Ask for a different treatment with at least two refills to use weekly. Recall that it will take 2-3 week for itching to subside.

Here are a few web sites to help: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0115/p341.html

Another: http://www.parkhurstexchange.com/dermatology/1998-05-16?zid=

Finally: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0115/p341.html

Good Luck to you and your family.

Dr. Frank MD
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.