Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Can an impinged shoulder cause finger numbness when arm is

Can an impinged shoulder cause finger numbness when arm is elevated? All fingers with the exception of the pinkie finger become numb but do not tingle.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Yes, Pinched nerve at your shoulder level or at cervical spine level ( brachial plexus) can cause numbness of your fingers.

Mysticdoc :

If physical therapy is not helping you need to see a neurologist for further evaluation with scans and ner conduction studies

Customer:

what are ner conduction studies

Mysticdoc :

nerve conduction study --this is done to check for nerve damage.

Customer:

Is this something I need to do soon?

Mysticdoc :

you should check this out soon since your symptoms are persistent for a while and physical therapy not helping.

Mysticdoc :

good luck

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a steroid shot for the impingement last Dec. Four days later it felt great. I decided to try more physical therapy and limit certain activities before surgery. After 4 months of this, I slowly added more overhead activities and pain returned immediately. Now that it is summer, I would like to delay shoulder surgery until Sept. I was hoping I could just get a second steroid shot to get me through the summer. Since my numbness has become more frequent, should I concentrate on this numbness with a neurologist instead of "fixing" the shoulder impingement with an orthopedist?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

You can see your orthopedist to consider a second steroid shot.

If he thinks that you will need a NCV study then he will send you to the neurologist.