Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

What does a low hemoglobin test result indicate Mine is 12.9. Also, is a glucose of 112 r

What does a low hemoglobin test result indicate? Mine is 12.9. Also, is a glucose of 112 really something to be concerned about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Greetings,

What is the normal reference value of hemoglobin, the laboratory mentioned? Is the glucose level fasting or 2 hours after food?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
13.2-17.1 are the reference values for the hemoglobin and the glucose was not a fsting glucose. Also, what is RDW?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

The low hemoglobin is called anemia, Anemia can be from different causes. There can be decreased production of red cells, increased destruction of it or blood loss. Decreased blood cell production from deficiency of factors required for red cells production is more common. The iron , vitamin B 12 & folic acid deficiencies can be there. Malabsorption, poor dietary intake, malnutrition, liver & kidney disease, bone marrow depression etc. are some of the other causes. The doctors will try to find out the cause of anemia or low red cell count which is the root of the problem . As your blood glucose level is not a fasting one it is not concerning. Blood glucose level varies according to the time after meal. You can read this link on it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003466.htm

RDW is red cell distribution width. It suggests variation of size of red cells. RDW needs to be interpreted with other markers like MCV & Hb.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The MCV is within normal range. Is Hb the hemoglobin? It also says my bun/creatinine ratio is high at 26. Normal values are 6-22. What is this concerning? Thank you for all the info. I used to work in a lab many many years ago, but I just reported results to Drs like yourself.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Hb is hemoglobin. Increase in BUN/ creatinine ratio suggests low blood flow to kidney as in dehydration, congestive heart failure. It can also be raised with increased protein intake. gastrointestinal bleeding. You should repeat the tests again after a few weeks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its only up by 4 from normal.....
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is not very high. It may be due to transient causes like dehydration, increased protein intake. You should repeat the test after taking normal diet with plenty of fluid.
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all the info! Have a good night.