DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

what is done for AVM of the stomach

what is done for AVM of the stomach
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
Is he having active GI bleeding?

How big is the AVM?

Any specific treatment taken for AVM

Thanks
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

AVM of stomach is uncommon and its treatment is problematic.

It is basically a tuft if abnormal vessels.

Diagnosis is usually made on angiography or CT with angiography.

Treatment options are :Surgical removal (resection) with or without partial gastrectomy.

0ther option is stereotactic radio surgery. It uses precisely focused radiation to destroy your AVM. Usually useful for smaller AVM

.If there is active bleeding and AVM is big then Endovascular embolization can be done.In this surgeon places the catheter in one of the arteries that feeds your AVM and injects small particles or a glue like substance to block the artery and reduce blood flow into the AVM.

Please discuss with your surgeon for best treatment option for your husband.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has had 2 open heart surgerys, a stent was put in last yr, and had a kidney with cancer which they removed,so dies can't be used, to save his remaining kidney.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
Dialysis can be done immediately after the angiography and Endovascular embolization for kidneys. This can reduce damage to kidney due to dye.

You can discuss this with your doctor.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wheres the best place you know of to get him fixed? We rather not go to NYC but if thats the best place than we will go.We live just out side of Albany NY, Thank you
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
i wont be able to help you regarding this as i am not aware of doctor near you.

You can go to NYC.

You can also consult your treating doctor regarding a referral to higher center.

Thanks
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, one more question for now, what causes AVM in the stomach? thank you
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
These are defects of the circulatory system that are generally believed to arise during embryonic or fetal development or soon after birth.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my daughter is having a baby in Sept, does it run in familys? thank you
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
Some research say there is genetic link to occurrence AVM.

It is not necessary your daughter baby will have this.

No need to worry.

Thanks