Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Lower abdominal pain for 2 days; very tender to touch; cramping

Lower abdominal pain for 2 days; very tender to touch; cramping with bowel movement with clear, with some mucous or pus. No fever.

Where is the abdominal tenderness? Lower right? Left?
Are you having any diarrhea?

dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the tenderness is all across teh lower abdomen, greater on the left lower. Initially some.
I am sorry you are not feeling well,

Tenderness and pain that originates in the left lower abdomen may be an infection called diverticulitis.
If you have ever had a colonoscopy and were told you have diverticulosis (which are pockets that develop in the left side of the colon as we age), you are at risk for diverticulitis.

Mild diverticulitis does not necessarily have fever. Tenderness and pain can be the only symptom.

The treatment for diverticulitis is to rest the bowel (clear liquids only) and to take antibiotics.
If not treated, it can lead to complications such as worsening infection and abscess formation.

Because of the possibility of diverticulitis, I recommend having your doctor do an exam to rule it out.

I hope that you feel better,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!