Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Will liprodrene with ephedra cause a false positive on a urine

Will liprodrene with ephedra cause a false positive on a urine drug screening test? And if yes, what will show up on the urine test? Thank you for your help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
The simple answer to your question is NO - the military drug test are all confirmed with GC/MS technology. This technology eliminates the possibility of false positives since it essentially produces a "chemical fingerprint" of the specimen.

Do you know the specific drug that was identified in your drug test?

Have you use ANY other drugs, medication or over-the-counter products?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The test they used was just a spot urine test. Yes I had taken advil cold and sinus and also combination protein powder that contains many different herbs like ma huang, yohimbe, ephedra, caffiene. The specific drug that showed up was amphetamines. They did a more comprehansive test but i do not know the results. My master sergeant has been telling me not to worry but i have to meet with the colonel at 4 pm today.
The spot (instant) urine tests use immunoassay technology that is prone to interference from a number of products including over-the-counter decongestants. This excellent reference from Mayo Clinic gives a list that is evidence based (not from some fly by night web site that gives unsupported claims)

There is however NO reason to be concerned because the military drug testing system does use GC/MS confirmation on all non-negative specimens. Unless you have use some illicit drugs or someone else's prescription medication (such as Adderall), there should not be a problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much for this information. I truly appreciate your help.
You're very welcome. I can understand how stressful a "positive" drug test might be if you aren't actually using drugs.